Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by trikellys
Last edited by: trikellys: Jun 24, 05 5:39
Re: Rolf Vector Pro Defects [trikellys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly,

I don't own them, but was doing searches looking for them last night with google and came across dozens of forum comments about broken hubs. Check out roadbikereview.com and you'll see what I mean. I'm thinking of staying clear of them for this reason. 1,000 miles seems to be the 'breaking point.'

XXX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of 1998 (pre trek) Rolf Vector Pros. Rode the hell out of them for 4-5 seasons. Tri's, Du's, TT's, Crits, RR's, training rides... At least 10,000 miles. Never a problem. Only had to get 'em trued once, and that was after a crit crash. I'd call Rolf (not trek) and see if they can do anything for you. http://www.rolfprima.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set since 2001 and I really like the wheels, they seem to roll forever. I have had to get new bearings on them twice but obviously nothing like you mentioned. Yikes though. I'm over double your weight. It is true that these wheels are out of warantee and that you have to go through Trek for service.

I've actually been wondering when I should retire mine and get a new workhorse wheelset. I wonder how long wheels designed around the high-tension spoke idea can last.

As for your situation, it's simply time to get a new wheelset. I don't think you're going to get any satisfaction out of anyone on this since the warantee has passed. Bikes and bike parts have a limited life. Glad to hear you weren't hurt due to the failure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of these on my 2001 Trek. I rode them extensively for about three seasons (and at body weight of 185-200), and never had a problem inherent with the wheel until I finally wore out the rear hub in late 2003. I did not even bother with checking into the warranty at that point, just bought new wheels. I still keep the front wheel in my garage just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding my Pros for more than 5000 miles and never had any problems with them -- never needed any truing and the bearings feel like new. However, ever since I started reading these horror stories in roadbikereview.com about wheels self-destructing, I always inspect my hubs for cracks before riding (all the reports indicated that cracks start developing long before a catastrophic failure occurs).

From what I've read, Rolf Prima does not support these wheels because they were made under a Trek contract, and Trek does not support them because they're an old model whose warranty has long expired.

It's pretty difficult to prove that the wheels were defective because you must show that no unauthorised person ever worked on them.

By the way, since you were not on the bike when the wheel disintegrated, did it fall apart just standing there, or was there another unlucky soul on the bike when that happened?

John
Quote Reply
Re: Rolf Vector Pro Defects [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
From what I've read, Rolf Prima does not support these wheels because they were made under a Trek contract, and Trek does not support them because they're an old model whose warranty has long expired
That's true. These wheels are a Trek - not a Rolf - product. As I understand, Trek had a license to use the name and the paired spoke design for a few years. The Rolf Web site states explicitly that they don't handle warranty issues on these.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolf Vector Pro Defects [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, now this has me thinking. I did have some problems with the rear hub (I can't believe I forgot about it) where the threads for the cassette lockring stripped and the cogs cut pretty deep grooves into the splines in the freehub body. The metal was just too soft. I had that piece replaced and I have had no problems since. I imagine the problem you had is with the hub shell, and I've had no problems with mine.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trikellys [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by trikellys [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some pepole were claiming that it's actually the anodisation that weakened the wheels, so I would be interested in finding out whether you had the black, gold, or silver Vector Pros.

It's a relief to know that there is audible advance warning that something is wrong with your wheel. Glad you came out of this unscathed!

John
Quote Reply