Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

your worst training days
Quote | Reply
Yesterday had to be my worst training day ever , My brakes failed while going down hill , my tire blew out and I fell trying to stop my fridge of bike and that point I had to abort the ride... pissed me off..

share your experiences
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [theTrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get on my bike, tire is flat. Go out on wifes bike, 2 miles later her tire is flat, break tire irons trying ot get tire off give up and walk home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both legs cramp on the bike, and I'm 8 miles from home. I call my wife who is on her way home from work (works out of town). She takes about 20 minutes to get home, and get on her way. In the meantime I am squatting like Johnny Bench b/c any other position leads to one part of my leg (either quads or hams) cramping up. Eventually, I start walking ... then deicde to try riding some more ... more cramps. Finally my wife gets here ... but she went and got her sister and her sister's "modern station wagon" type car ... that happens to be full of boxes, etc. "Where did they think I would put the bike?"

Anyway ... at this point, I'm frustrated at myself (for not eating anything all day and getting myself dehydrated), so I just say screw it and walk home the 7.5 miles or whatever it was.

Spent most of the night giving myself an ice massage, and swearing that I'll always take my Camelbak on longish rides.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My worst training day was a few years ago while training in early Spring for a mid summer 1/2 (err 70.3). :) It was pouring outside, but I figured I could still get in a solid 3 hours on the bike. It was colder than I thought, but I felt OK. I got 30s mile from home and got a flat. No problem - I changed it (even though I could barely feel my fingers from the cold). About 15 feet further and the tire was flat again - stupid staple was stuck in my tire and I didn't check the first time because I was trying to hurry. Well, that's no problem - I always carry 2 spares. Unfortunately, the other one was a 650c and I was on my road bike with 700c tires. No good. Luckily, I had my cell phone and could call my then-girlfriend / now wife to come pick me up. She was another 30 minutes away when I rang, so it took nearly an hour for her to get to me. I was standing by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, in the rain, cursing myself the entire time. By the time I got home, I was emotionally drained more than rides even twice that distance could ever accomplish.

-Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a solo, hilly 75-mile ride. About 20 miles into the ride, I ran through some glass. When I put my hand on to the rear wheel to clean it off, my hand got sucked down hard in between the rear wheel and the seat tube (I always knew this would one day happen). My rear wheel locked and my body was jerked down and over at a grotesque and awkward angle. Miraculously, I stayed upright long enough to point my bike away from the traffic (and allow my "hand brake" to slow the bike down), but I still fell over. Only minor bruising and abraisions from the fall, but my hand hurt like hell. Within minutes it was purple and swollen. I though it might be broken. Nonetheless, I kept riding.

About 10 miles later, I summited the largest hill on my route and began the decent. About half way down (after I had built up a head of steam), I had to make a 90 degree right turn. At the apex of the turn, hit some cobblestones that were still a little damp from the morning dew. SLAM! I hit hard and continued a hard slide into the curb and bounced back into the street. My bike (and some of its constituent parts) my body, water bottles and sunglasses pretty much blocked the entire street. Nonetheless, while I layed there motionless and barely conscious, a car attempted to slowly weave through the debris, rolling slowly within inches of my head. The driver didn't even bother to roll down his window to see if I needed assistance. Then CRUNCH as he rolled slowly over my sunglasses.

I got up and assesed the damage. My shorts were ragged and bloody. One glove was shredded. Helmet banged up but not broken. With a some effort I was able to make my bike rideable. I figgured I was only a couple of miles to the apex of my loop, might as well finish. So I set off, gingerly.

I pulled up to a stoplight about a mile down the road, disoriented and stiff. I couldn't unclip. I fell over. Right on my wounded leg, no less. DAMMIT! That was it. I turned around and rode home.
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [happyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a pinch, a 650 tube will work on a 700 rim/tyre. You can go the other way too, but that's a little trickier.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I spent 6 weeks of the summer in Alaska. I live in Central Florida. A few days after I got home I went on a 12 mile afternnoon run with my wife that I will forever remember as the worst run in my entire natural life. I'd gotten used to the climate in Alaska and was completely unprepared for the blast furnace heat and humidity of home. I couldn't keep up with even a slow pace, and I felt absolutely terrible. I whined and moaned for the whole run. I felt so tired I was ready to give up running for good. Now any time I start sucking wind on a run I think back to that day and how it could be much worse.
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 miles into normal after work 2 hr ride. I'm on a "lonely" stretch of road where I always get a nice head of steam up. It had started drizzling really lightly 5 minutes earlier. I come upon a T intersection. Woman in pickup truck looks right at me but decides to pull out anyway---smack. I had locked up the brakes and slowed down pretty well so no major damage, but I landed on my cockcyx ? and had a sore ass from that one. I decided to head home right away b/c I figured my bike karma was bad for the day.

Waited 10 minuetes and decided like a type-A er that I would go run. 40 minutes in nature calls...I didn't quite make it home or to a wooded area....I waddled home.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, Khai, don't tell me that NOW! ;)

...but seriously, how would you get that onto the rim?

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [happyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same way John Holmes would put on a condom. Streeeeeeeeeeeeetch it.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out on a solo 90 mile ride training for IMC. 3 hours in, a huge lightning storm hits that I did not see coming. Just as a strike hits some tree in front of me I blow a flat. (I swear the strike hit my tire. Maybe not) Change the tire in a downpour and it blows right when I get it up to pressure. Use the second tube, same thing. Found a slit in the tire. (I was too stupid to look before I changed the tube) I had one more tube. I was still about 30 miles from my car so I put the 3rd tube in and inflated half way. Then continued to ride with all my weight on the front tire for the last 30, lightning and thunder the whole way back to the car. Dried off and ran for 2 hours.

Worst training day- yes Best training day-yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80 mile ride, around 90 degrees. I cramped up so bad that I had to call the wife for an evac 3 miles from home because I couldn't get my leg back over the top tube.

What I wouldn't give to be doing that right now instead of sitting here in this fucking cubicle.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Jun 23, 05 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: your worst training days [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
80 mile ride, around 90 degrees. I cramped up so bad that I had to call the wife for an evac 3 miles from home because I couldn't get my leg back over the top tube.

What I wouldn't give to be doing that right now instead of sitting here in this fucking cubicle.
This is classic - what a bunch of freaks twitchers are! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a long ride with a friend and it was a really bad day for me. There are days when you have your legs and I think I left my legs at home that day. I couldn't keep going at our usual LSD pace and I was just really feeling weak. Plus, it didn't help the winds were really strong that day all over the course we usually ride. He dropped me and came back for me twice and I each time I would ask him to stay with me through the wind. He didn't.

I usually hit my first marker at 1:30 into that route, but that day I was 10k out of the marker at 1:30. He dropped me at 1:20 into the ride, I stopped at 1:30 to eat and rest and only called my mobile at 1:50. Nice. He didn't even notice I was gone. I turned back to go to my car and I found two guys to draft off because I was really suffering in the winds -- yeah they were there both ways. I found him complaining about how bad the climb was that day.

Worst ride ever.
Quote Reply