Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Simple test report: race wheels vs normal wheels
Quote | Reply
Installed my new Corima 4-spoke on the rear of my bike, spun her up to 30kph and timed how long to stop (no load) = 1:52

Put my old Rolf Vector Comp back on, spun it up to 30kph and timed it again = 1:10

Repeated each a few times with some variation +/-3 seconds.

So, what do I conclude? The bearings in the Corima are better? The aerodynamics are better? The Corima has more inertia (not likely - feels like it weighs about the same and distribution of mass seems more central but I could be wrong).

All I know is that when I took the new baby for a ride, she felt FAST. I seemed to leap up to speed and maintain high speeds on the flats much easier.

Conclusion: My new Corimas rock! Bring on IM Germany - I'm ready to go!

Comments?
Quote Reply
Re: Simple test report: race wheels vs normal wheels [Aaron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only comment is to have a great race at IM Germany!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how did you do the test? It sounds like you were on a Computrainer vs. on the road by your "no load" comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple test report: race wheels vs normal wheels [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, nothing that complex. Bike hanging on work stand, spun the wheel up to beyond 30kph, waited until speed dropped to 30 and reset the time on my bike computer.

Really, really, no load.

This doesn't really test anything real and so the difference between the wheels doesn't tell me anything numerically about the improved performance I might expect, but I thought it was an interesting result that the race wheels spun fo an extra 40 seconds (> 50%) over my normal every day wheels.

Much better than the other way around! I actually thought about not testing my normal wheels because I thought if there weren't much difference, the Corima's would lose their "mystique". But it worked out ok!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front or rear? In the rear you can have a lot of difference in hub losses through the ratchet, which only matter when you are coasting.
Quote Reply