Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [Chex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not be a smart ass, roadies never try to hook up with us, if you go to a roadie group you have to ride under their rules, don't you think? that is what i meant.

Sorry, smartass is my nature. I agree that if you do end up hooking up with roadies, whether by choice (very rarely for me) or by chance on the open road (relatively common) one should make a habit of essentially staying out of the way...unless you know them or know what it is they are trying to accomplish. Just like us, most folks have a particular thing they are trying to achieve with a particular workout or a particular moment in a workout, and anyone can f*** that up without really trying.

Just about all that I have met up with are pretty cool---and just like we triathletes there are the percentage share of assholes as well.

My original point was that in running or swimming you typically don't meet up with the "attitude", but as has been pointed out there are some legit reasons for an attitude on the bike as opposed to the running trails or swimming lanes.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>What a jackass discussion...I nominate this entire thread for JACKASS OF THE WEEK.<<

Your such a classy dude. Unfortunately I've seen far worst here that consistently go un-nominated. Why did you leave the asterisks off anyway? Is that PC or something?

""What now? Let me tell you "what now?" I'm gonna call a couple a hard, pipe-hittin' n****rs to go to work on the homes here, with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.""

That discussion was much more on-topic for your liking.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Last edited by: manonfire: Jun 23, 05 22:08
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey in general I get along fine with Roadies to, in fact I consider myself one too since I compete Road Racing sometimes. In fact I get alonf fine with almost anyone who wants to get along.

But them self appointed elite types ... sometimes a group forms and then they get a kind of exclusive superiority complex thingy. I guess it's just a part of human nature. It's all fine with me as long as they keep thier stupid opinions and aggressive comments to themselves. Don't find little reasons to validate themselves at others expense. Being in thier little group ain't gonna save them if they try shit!
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah most Roadies are good guys. But once in awhile you get these little groups forming by individuals who don't have the balls to stand on thier own and then as a groupie try and validate themselves by hassling others. This group I refer too even all ride the same Italian brand of bike, use the same expensive brand shoes and and use the same flashing lights etc. Most in the group compete and have an attitude problem to newer riders and to people with less expensive gear and to people using Tri bikes.

Bunch of wankers who deserve to get fucked back!.

Whether Tri or Roadies we should all be friendly and just enjoy what we're doing. I got no time for self appointed elitists.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [kanga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

A couple of aggressive elite type roadies came up to me and started hassling about the clip ons. I told them that I don't take aero position when there are riders in front of me cuz that's just common sense. I asked them if they've ever heard of tri bars being the cause of an actual accident they could cite. And I mentioned that my clip ons were the hoop type so anticipate as they might that hoop bar would very unlikely penetrate their skinny arses.

I do not condone violence , but guys with arms like I had when I was seven , would have been bitch-slapped pretty hard.........and thanked me afterwards !

Have no problem with :roadies , runners , swimmers , drivers , etc. Additionally , can someone please enlighten me as to what "thrill" I am missing by riding solo ?

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Last edited by: canuck8: Jun 23, 05 22:19
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Et tu LC? haha

Although many of the comments are made in jest when I 1st head out with a new group, it's a rare few that have the rudeness that goes with them. Very seldom but memorable. For the most part I have zero issues, and if it comes up I usually see the humor in the situation and take it lightly. As I said once I ride with them or chat with folks that have a comment or 2, everything is copasetic. Sometimes the comments are made by folks that I am not riding with. For example if I'm out on a solo and make a stop in an area where there are other riders, and I'm minding my own business. That's what I don't get. In the past when I was on my old clunker of a road bike before it was put to sleep, I never heard these things. This wasn't meant to offend but I understand that many are passionate about the subject. I don't introduce myself as a triathlete or a roadie (not that there's anything wrong with that) I just go out and ride and do what I do. Done.

Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
canuck,

If you're training for foundation stamina spinning the mileage or improving specifically in certain areas with intervals like hill climbs, sprints or ability to push sustained speed in anaerobic threshold then training alone is best and is the best way to improve.

If you want to be a good roadie then you'll need to take all that benefit from training sometimes and ride in fast groups. Only then can you get used to how to manouvre within a group and how to draft, pull etc and to apply your strengths you've buiklt to good tactics.

The fun in a group is that you're challenging with other riders matching pace on different terrain. Also in a group you will get the thrill of much higher speeds whilst pacing and challenging. Even as a Tri person riding in groups adds a different and very enjoyable imension to cycling and putting yourself against the roadies will help improve your cycling. Also you will meet people who are cool who share the same interests and make friends in the process.

It's all very enjoyable so long as you don't meet up with those occassional dickheads. Basically I avoid dickhead group organized rides cuz there are many others to choose from and the Sunday rides we have where it's free for all, good challenging bunch fast ride, me or anyone else has every right to participate and dickheads got every right to keep thier mouths shut unless they're willing to back it up.

Ride be happy, friendly competition, friendly to all good riders and newbies, expensive bike and cheapo bike owners alike and keep the egos in check n the attitude to oneself, I reckon is best. The sport will be better off for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KANGAROO

Your last paragraph is my thoughts exactly. I live and train, in a city. Hence , dealing with traffic and limited " countryside" I find the ability to go on these rides more tedious than beneficial.

Additionally :

I normally ride with a goal and hr parameters to follow.

I don't see how this can fit in to a group ride.

The only benefits I can really see are some that you have stated: - the ability to ride in group dynamic , matching pace in different terrain , spending time with people of similiar interests. As far as benefits myself , I probably should have stated that at present , my sole purpose of cycling is for completion of the cycling leg of IM and personal enjoyment.

Unfortunately , with my full- time job , family and training , social and non-specific rides are entirely out of the question.

Thanks for your response though , I should have emphasized my position more clearly.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed the point, manonfire. This puffy-chested rant of a thread is doing NOTHING to unify people. I object to that. Look, there are JACKASS roadies and there are JACKASS triathletes. Neither one are very much fun to be around. I absolutely object to the "holier-than-thou" attitudes expressed in some of the posts in this thread.

My "jackass" comment had NOTHING to do with ON/OFF topic status of the thread. As for the asterisks...that is the way the MOVIE QUOTE was written on the site I grabbed it from. I have no PC sensitivities. Its a MOVIE QUOTE on a MOVIE QUOTE thread, for cryin' out loud. Get over yourself.
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Jun 24, 05 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah cannuck8,

I get what you're saying. Not enough time and specific ride training etc. But for me when not training for a specific TT then group rides if the other riders are fast, is a good ride effort which breaks up the monotonyand is a different challenge. Besides being physically tired one can get mentally burnt out as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies & Triathletes mixing , what's the big deal? short RANT [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if I trully believe that I am holier than thou art. :) I would never exclude anyone from anything just because there is a chance I may get hurt, or they don't have the correct equipment, or someone isn't as good as me. If that would have been the case, more often than not I would have been playing BY myself (not with myself ;) ) for most of my youth and teenage years. I can honestly say, the only sport I have ever seen this type of attitude in is cycling. To me that is baffling. I can get just as hurt playing hockey with a bunch of novices as you can riding with novices. Include everyone and lose the attitudes. (Not you in particular Brian, I am saying generally).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it is you that have missed the point. It wasn't puffy-chested at all on my behalf. I actually laugh at much of what was said to me while out and riding. I find it humorous regardless of the intent of some of the comments that I have beenmade in the past. I know that one bad apple doesn't ruin the bunch. Never made that generalization. Everyone has a butthole in them. You missed an opportunity to write something that articulates your sentiment more than just trolling and popping in with a Jackass comment. Don't try to explain yourself now. Don't preach unity when you're labeling folks jackasses. You may object and you are truly entitled to do so but others are entitled to their own opinions as well. Agree or not. It's through discussion that people see the other side of the equation, hopefully. This wasn't an attempt to bring a divide and if this thread has done so then folks are really in bad shape. If it bothers you or you just have something to contribute then post, if it pains you don't read. "Get over myself". Dude whatever. As I said I have seen far worst on this forum that may warrant that type of comment. You may be better served to direct your attention there.

Ving Rhames tied up in the basement. I have seen Pulp Fiction several times.

Peace

"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane." (~Steven Wright)

Last edited by: manonfire: Jun 24, 05 11:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next