Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels - Excel Sports?
Quote | Reply
I will be buying a set of wheels. I am thinking Mavic CXP-33 with Ultegra hubs.

I am also thinking of getting these from Excel in Boulder.

Are they good wheelbuilders? Better sellers?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels - Excel Sports? [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got these exact wheels from Excel for an ex-girlfriend's bike, and as far as I know they are still going strong unlike our relationship. She/we had them for 3 years without every being re-trued.

"You know you are getting old when you see your father in the mirror." anon.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of wheels from Excel for about 8 years. They are Ulegra 600 with Mavic rims. While they are now on my "other" bike thwy have served me well, never been trued, yet I have used them in lots of poor roads etc. I would guess that they have 31,000 miles on them.

These will work very well.

I did buy a new wheelset from Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos-- Velocity rims with the Speedcific hubs. I have just a few hundred miles on them but I am super impressed with them.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnt,

I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.

Yes, you probably can find someone who can build a better wheel. It may take considerable effort and probably will cost significantly more.

Is it worth it for the type wheel you have chosen, a bomb-proof training type wheel? How much cost do you wish to add to this purchase?

Realize, too, that these wheels are not very heavy. When you have a chance, you should weight them against some of the aero wheels you may lust for. It will surprise you how light they really are. Just make sure you compare apples to apples.

Good luck.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply