Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Knee Pain - anyone have any idea what the issue is? [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some issues in the past with my knee, same spot as you. It kept me from training for almost a year because it got worse. After been treated by the best orthopedic surgeon and 3 PT's I finally got a PT who knew her stuff. The problem originated from my hips. It took some intense work with core etc but I'm training pain free now. Look into your hips and see if its not originating from there. Good luck.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - anyone have any idea what the issue is? [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi genkigirl1,
You must consult rheumatologist(special doctor for rheumatoid arthritis). The kind of symptoms you are telling is most probably arthritis(problem in joints).

Thanks
leo
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - anyone have any idea what the issue is? [squarewheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading in on Tuesday as that nice, short run on Boxing Day did not go over well. Enough is enough. Time to go and see someone I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been and seen and now waiting for my MRI appointment. The doc seems to think I have two issues. One is my high arch on my right foot which causes me to land more on the outside of my foot which causes problems with the quad - and he also suggested stretching. The other is... meniscus. Hence the MRI. He was rather good, did a lot of manipulation, took a bunch of Xrays, foot scans and outlines... Gave me an insole to deal with my heavy right heel... Fingers crossed it isn't serious. Anyone else had meniscus issues before? MY dad's knees are a mess on both sides but he screwed his up 30 years ago so am hoping things are much, much better now. I'll be honest, the chance of needing to be cut scares the crap out of me.

I also got told off for waiting so long to see someone.... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's an irreparable tear, they'll do a clip--that's a pretty small cut :-) And barring any other issues (articular cartilage problems, etc.), it's a pretty easy recovery (generally, but obviously n=1 and YMMV). If they can repair it, let them, for sure. Much longer recovery, and a more involved process, but always better to keep as much of your own bits as you can. Most tears aren't fixable (esp. if it's of the degenerative variety, as opposed to traumatic), but some are, depending on the type and location.

Some people can have meniscal damage and AC damage and running on it makes it worse. Others can run on a tear and be fine (assuming the pain doesn't bother them, and thier leg isn't locing/nonfunctioning). For some, PT helps, for many, a clip is the solution. LOTS of people have a partial and return to sports happily and healthily in very short order.

As for your dad--sports med and the treatment of cartilage and other knee injuries has come a long way in the last few decades, so don't let that worry you at all. <3

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - anyone have any idea what the issue is? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. I have no idea what it is or how serious it is. To be honest, it doesn't hurt when I run. It's just this feeling that all is not right. I'm hoping it will be a quick fix and that I will be back to running soon. I have never been a runner but now that I'm not out, I miss it. That and I feel like a lazy cow.

Yes, dad have Frankenstein knees so rather hoping times have changed a lot in that area. Seems so. Thanks for helping put my mind at rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the MRI and I have.... Inflammation of my ligaments. The advice? Stretch and ice. I am so super pissed right now it isn't even funny. Money and time to be told to just do what you've all suggested and have been doing. This is exactly why I didn't want to go and see someone here. Grrrr.... Well, I'm going to start back at the running tomorrow and hope it doesn't get worse.

Super pissed I will be missing half marathon season here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How frustrating for you but at least you know it's nothing sinister. you're on the right track with stretching your adductors and hamstrings. I'd also start getting into some glute medius strengthening and ITB release too, and some specific VMO work. At this stage it's muscular imbalance predominantly. Also make sure you're not overpronating with your running and get a good sports physio (i'm biased but i say find an Australian/NZ trained sports specific physio) to look at your gait during your running and get you onto the right rehab, muscle balance track.
Hope you start to get somewhere with it now :)
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - anyone have any idea what the issue is? [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true - I was scared I was going to get cut up!

Will look up everything you've suggested - I got "stretch more" with no advice on how or what to be stretching. Not exactly helpful. Have been working on strength but will dig a little deeper. Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply

Prev Next