Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike shop - Seoul South Korea
Quote | Reply
Guys,
I'm planning buying a new bike, next time i travel through Seoul in South Korea. - Does anybody know any good once?

Regards
J!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Brekyn Khi [ In reply to ]
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [aftereffector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm not too focused on any paticular brand, but looking for a alu or entry level carbon bike, with a not too aggressive positioning, with 105 or Force group or something, which i can use on my indoor trainer during to winter to make the transition form MTB to Tri.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Brekyn Khi [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, i'll find the Storck store. I have Storck MTB's so that is going to be good fun. I had hoped for something less ambisious for my first tri bike, but lets see what they can offer. Once again, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [JH76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Dan said check out the "Rapha-Storck" shop. They actually now have a "Watts Cycling" shop down below as well (not sure if that was open when you went Dan). The Watts shop has an indoor training setup where they hold training sessions as well as a fit studio. They carry Specialized and have Road, TT, and MTB. There focus is "Watts your Power, Watts your gear, Watts do you need" ;) Funny spin off of the name Watts, but it is Korea. I raced for the shop for the past 2 years and just recently moved back to the states. They are the dominant amateur team in S.Korea and have the top foreign guys in the country on their team.

Also, try and look up a shop called "IRON STAR" and "Pro Cycle", those are the other 2 shops in Seoul that I would recommend. Hope that helps, and let me know if you need anything else, I spent 4 years in Korea and am very familiar with the racing scene for both cycling and triathlon.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, once again. - I'll check out the places once i get there in 2 weeks time. So fare i have managed to located the Storck shop in google map, and in two weeks i should be able to find the two others. Problem is, unless u are interested in learning some silly dance, googleing anything Korean will not give many usefull hits these days.

I Usually stay up in the area where Lotte Dpt. store is, however for this trip, i may want to more down near the "american bar area" or whatever its called. - I lived at Crown hotel down there once many years ago, and that should be walking distance to Storck.

Thanks / J!.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [JH76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itaewon is very close to the Storck Shop. I would stay at my buddies house on the opposite side of Itaewon and we would ride through there in the early morning to get to the shop before leaving for races. We would roll through around 5 or 6 and everyone would be leaving the bars looking at us like we were crazy. How long will you be there? The guys that ride for the shop can take you out on some rides and show you some routes. Just ask Jeremy or Key at the shop to put you in contact. Jeremy is Korean/Canadian and speaks fluent english so you won't have a problem if you don't speak english. Key can get by as well.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help, i'll only be there for 36 hours or so, meetings and shopping before i go back, so i'll unfortunately not have time to ride. I live in a small town in Kazakhstan, so i use trips like this to stock up on toys and stuff that i can get here.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by shay5950 [ In reply to ]
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [shay5950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email: dereklaan@hotmail.com he is still in Korea and has a lot of contacts there, and he is pretty fluent in Korean.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in daegu all the time in the novotel can you point me a triathlon bike shop there?????
That would be much appreciated!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Storck shop also a good place for maintenance/service? How is pricing there for service?

I will be moving to Seoul this July so I'm glad this thread came up. Don't need a new bike, just the occasional service on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was there I had a local... just the closest one that could tune my gears and do basic maintenance. It was super convenient and cheap.

If i had to go back I’d do that again but also get to know the big shops down by the river.

E

BigBoyND wrote:
Is the Storck shop also a good place for maintenance/service? How is pricing there for service?

I will be moving to Seoul this July so I'm glad this thread came up. Don't need a new bike, just the occasional service on my tri bike.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on where you are. Like Eric said, there are tons of mini-shops set up by the river that can help you out, particularly around the river hubs (like Banpo and near Olympic park). If you're not near the river you have less options, but there are still some to be found.

To the list above I'd also add Bikenara (they're primarily a Giant dealer but they have a workshop) near Hapjeong station. Lemme know if you have any other questions or need Seoul contacts
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ride outside in South Korea. Industrial dust blowing from China is unbearable and it will hurt your health badly.

https://earth.nullschool.net/...0/loc=127.036,37.314
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah in hindsight I regret the volume of exercise I did outside... I had two acute breathing episodes when I was there.

s13tx wrote:
I wouldn't ride outside in South Korea. Industrial dust blowing from China is unbearable and it will hurt your health badly.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

This is true for some of the year (particularly winter and early spring), but is not always an issue. Summer and fall are usually quite pleasant and the air quality is excellent. I would check in on it if you plan to ride outside, but it's not like it will 100% be dangerous to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [icecubes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icecubes wrote:
It really depends on where you are. Like Eric said, there are tons of mini-shops set up by the river that can help you out, particularly around the river hubs (like Banpo and near Olympic park). If you're not near the river you have less options, but there are still some to be found.

To the list above I'd also add Bikenara (they're primarily a Giant dealer but they have a workshop) near Hapjeong station. Lemme know if you have any other questions or need Seoul contacts

Thanks for the tips! I will be living in the Gangnam/Seocho area, so near the river. That should make it pretty easy then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

Yes, the air quality is a concern. But fortunately I already do 99% of my training indoors and that bumps up to 100% in the winter when the air is particularly bad.

(how Chinese companies can emit that much crap onto a metropolis of 10 million people is beyond me)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

Sorry for the delay in replying, got buried in my inbox. Haven't been there in so long not sure who is in the shop these days or what the pricing is. Definitely worth checking out and seeing what the vibe is like. If you end up going there come back on here and update the thread with what your experience is, would be great to have an update.

Good luck out there!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Bike shop - Seoul South Korea [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Where did you swim, by the way? Most gyms in the Gangnam/Seocho area seem to have strange memberships for pools where you have to pick a 50 minute time slot MWF/TThSa, which would make it hard to get enough swimming in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had 2 pools at the military base where I was stationed, Osan.

Not sure the best places to swim in "Seoul", Eric may be a better reference for that, but assume he did most of his swimming on base as well. There is a really good 50m pool, but it is more towards Incheon if I am not mistaken, but the hours did seem somewhat reasonable. Swam there back in 2015 before 70.3 Incheon.

https://www.icmha.or.kr/

Munhak Park Tae-hawan Pool

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply