Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Time cuts? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
<< the reasoning is this, you may be a nice guy, and Dan, well, he's not such a nice guy ;-) But there are people out there that are just complete assholes. I've heard the stories from Charlie Crawford of some of the things that have happened to him over the years as a result of people not liking a call made on the course. being spit on, having a water cup thrown in his face, the verbal abuse etc.
I agree with Dan, this cannot be the reason. There are complete assholes in every sport and in every walk of life. Inability to deal with other humans and/or fear of confrentation is not a valid reason to avoid personal interaction; especially if it benefits the majority of participants. If you have officials that can't tactfully interact with racers, then don't use them anymore. If you have a racer throwing water in the official's face, then DQ him on the spot and remove him from the race (the rest of us didn't want him there in the first place).

I'm not discounting your concern completely and I respect your opinion, but I believe there will be disagreements regardless. For every one jack-ass you encounter, there will be 100 people (like me) that will be grateful that you corrected the situation on the spot and didn't let it fester. Part of officiating in any sport is that you are THE authority figure and it's your job to deal with the good and the bad to run a clean and enjoyable event for the majority of participants.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's do this WTC/USAT rules discussion right [weak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To all of you who are opting for draft legal, have you seen what happens in the Tour when the best bike handlers in the world cross wheels? Usually wholesale carnage. It happens with enough regularity that it puts out some of the best every year.
Just think of a peleton in triathlon with 80 people on aerobars. Unthinkable. This would be more dangerous than having a swim in the middle of the shark migration.
The other thing that comes to mind is what would happen to the guy that sits on the wheel of one of the peaceful tribal members for 112 without takin a turn, you know, the guys who want to shoot motorists who come to close or kick the guy's teeth out who hits his feet more than twice in the swim or who wants to drown the 110 woman who is in the way. When and how will he confront the sucker? Kick him in the crotch on the run or steal his man bra in transition?
Our tri club has had rides every weekend for the past 5 years and even though the 20 or 30 people know each other, there were 5 seperated shoulders, two puntured lungs and a bunch of other scrapes and bruises from pace line riding.
It's not for me and I will go to swimming and running if drafting is ever legalized.
Quote Reply
Re: Time cuts? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"actually, you're supposed to feel like that. my biggest problem with the current situation is that i don't know what they're calling."

There are two reasons to have that feeling. One is because your doing something wrong the other is because you're not sure if you're doing something wrong.

In my case, and I'd venture to guess in the case of many, my uneasiness was due to the latter. Had the standard been "we'll warn you if we feel you're bordering on penalty" and "We will tell you if you are being penalized" I would have been much more at ease. Instead marshals woudl ride next to me scribble scribble scribble...and drive off without a word. After the third or fourth time I was sure I was DQ'd despite the fact I had no idea what for. I ended up with no penalties at all.

I'd take a paintball shot rather than not knowing what the hell was going on.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Time cuts? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But there are people out there that are just complete assholes."

Most of what we're talking about is taking place on the bike course when you're on a motorcycle and they're on a bike. Not trying to be an @ss but isn't that a pretty safe situation?

IMO anyone who looses it with a ref shoudl be removed from the course and DQ'd. Anyone striking, spitting or otherwise assaulting a ref or anyone for that reason should be on the "banned" list and every attempt should be made to keep them from racing period. Being an A type personality is NO reason for loosing elf control.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Time cuts? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"right now, dealing with our officials--CERTAIN officials at CERTAIN events--feels like dealing with the DMV, and it ought not to be like that."

You mentioned yelling out warnings by officials. I'm not sure if that's possible but I know it would make me, a newbie, more comfortable. I know throughout IMFL, my first IM, whenever the marshals came by I felt like the police were around.

For the most part I was aware of what drafting distance, blocking etc etc was, but being in a fairly new situation was still "unsure" that I was not breaking some rule. It would be nice to know that you would recieve some warning if you were crossing the line unwitingly. More like a neighborhood police officer rather than the cop hiding behind the bridge with the radar gun.

~Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next