Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SLAM shifting
Quote | Reply
Guys-

The end of the season is here, and I just got done switching things over to a JC "Slam" position- it is very nice. I need to get my upper body a little lower, but other than that there appears to be a pretty good increase in power and speed, but most importantly, comfort.

My question is more for a shifting standpoint. We all know aero this and aero that, but I need to know a good way to-

1) Hide all the cables without switching over to all-campy- I don't know if you can mix campy levers and shimano gearing (anyone?), but I want to hide the shimano STI shift cables.

2) Ditch the drop bars for some TT bars

3) Has anyone solved the aero shifter problem with profile jammer GT's? These are my aero bars for the slam.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1) Hide all the cables without switching over to all-campy- I don't know if you can mix campy levers and shimano gearing (anyone?), but I want to hide the shimano STI shift cables.

2) Ditch the drop bars for some TT bars

3) Has anyone solved the aero shifter problem with profile jammer GT's? These are my aero bars for the slam.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to try bar-end shifters. I did this several years ago with profile Jammers, and it worked fine once I fine-tuned the angle of the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using Campy 9 speed shifters and derailleurs with a Shimano 9 speed hub/cassette with no problems. I'm not really a Campyphile or a Campyphobe - I prefer Ergo levers but I think Shimano makes better brakes, hubs, cranks, and bottom brackets. Hence my hybrid set-up.

I'm using a SRAM 9-speed chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiding Shimano cabling?

I just read an article in the Australian magazine RIDE, Don't ask which issue orarticle, I could never remember, and they mentioned in some article about some kind of cable some mechanics were using for hiding shimano cables. All I remember was that the cable looked pretty thick and looked like morse code (chunky and in pieces) inside a clear sheath. Who knows? Not me.

Maybe it can turn tight bends without too much friction or something, so it can run under the bar tape.

Why can't Shimano just hide the cable like Campy?

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you´re referring to Nokon cables, like the golden one´s used by Once, which can be turned under the bartape in a very steep radius. I guess you can read about them at www.nokon.de , they are german and work well.

m
Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you haven't heard any problems using the ergo 9speeds with Shimano setup? Do you think it's because you're using a SRAM chain?

Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also heard about using these cables- anybody already use them and turn them at tight angles?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't think the chain makes a difference. Everyone I know who has tried to use Campy 9 with Shimano 9 has gotten it to work with little or no problems.

If you're nervous about forking over a lot of cash, look into a Campy Mirage set-up from one of the UK mail order outfits. You can get a set of Mirage Ergo levers and a rear derailleur for cheap (like $125). That's less than wholesale on a set of Shimano 105 STI levers. The Mirage is light but works well and is fairly durable. It is also compatible with double or triples and offers front derailleur trimming.
Last edited by: john: Sep 2, 03 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, and it works fine - well, there is a little bit more resistance while shifting, but it´s no real problem.

m
Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Why can't Shimano just hide the cable like Campy?

Because Campy got so sick of ShimaNO copying their designs that Campy now patents the bejesus out of everything they make. Plus what is odd to me is that someone said that ShimaNO had better brakes and a few other odds and ends...allow me to quote a site I found at www.slowtwitch.com...

Record -vs- Dura Ace

"Trying to pick a winner out of these two fine groups is like trying to decide between Mercedes and Volvo. How can you pick a winner without denigrating the other by implication? There is no way either of these two groups or either of these fine companies deserves to be denigrated.

In coming to the conclusion I reach above, the big winner is Campagnolo. Why? Because it has nowhere to go but up. My guess is, you'll see more Campy in the pro racks than the age-group racks, and that is just because the pros like Peter Reid, Greg Welch, Michellie Jones, Spencer Smith, and others have been getting their Campy free over the years. But go out and by it? Roadies will, triathletes won't."

Even Slowtwitch gave the higher ranking to Record!

Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read further down:

"The one part I might change is the brake caliper, because of Campy's lack of a caliper spreading mechanism on the caliper itself."

The fact is that both grouppos are great. You aren't going to win or lose a race based on either. Shimano has won the last 5 TdF's in a row. Before that Record won about 10 TdF's in a row.

Last edited by: john: Sep 2, 03 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: SLAM shifting [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Read further down:

"The one part I might change is the brake caliper, because of Campy's lack of a caliper spreading mechanism on the caliper itself." The fact is that both grouppos are great. You aren't going to win or lose a race based on either. Shimano has won the last 5 TdF's in a row. Before that Record won about 10 TdF's in a row.

Last edited by: Record9ti: Sep 2, 03 6:18
Quote Reply