Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xaero Lite Quality Issues
Quote | Reply
Hi there...Since I got the Xaeros I've had nothing but trouble with them, they've been into the shop for repairs a total of 6 times within the last 3 months...I only got them in April (they came on my new bike) and they have less than 1500 kms on them. They were actually part of the reason I went with the Cannondale Ironman bike as opposed to a Cervelo, more bang for the buck...little did I know. First the rear hub crapped out and wouldn't turn, then the front bearings had to be replaced and then rear hub problems again and again and again. The local bike shop doesn't want to replace the wheel and Spinergy people are no help either. Basically I ride the wheel for 200-300 kms then bring it in for a rebuild! Has anyone else had similar troubles...any suggestions on what I should do?

Cheers!
JP
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite Quality Issues [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had a lick of trouble with mine in well over 5000km of training and racing. The only time I've had any issue is when I had to have the front trued after I was hit by a truck earlier this year. I'm sorry to hear you've had such an issue with yours. I find that they are a well built, reliable wheel.

How are you with wheels in general? I have never had these types of issues with any wheelset I've owned in over 20 years with bikes. I've never broken a spoke. I rarely need wheels trued, unless a wreck has been involved. There was a guy yesterday complaining about Spinergys who then also noted he'd had issues with Ksyriums. This tells me that its likely the way this guy rides rather than the wheels. If you are hard on wheels, you'd do best training on a 32 or 36 spoke, 14guage spoke bulletproof wheel. Some people need them because they are simply hard on wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite Quality Issues [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for your response...I am very easy on wheels, I am only 145 pounds so I'm just a lightweight :) I also ride Ksyrium Elites as well as Zipp 404's and have had no trouble with either of these. I heard from somewhere there was an issue with some Xaero rear hubs but can't seem to find any info. I just brought the wheel back to the bike shop this morning and told them I'll be back for it when it is replaced! I am just so fed up with having to bring it in there all the time, it's definitely not right for a wheel like that to have those issues. The last time I brought it in the mechanic told me the freehub was gummed up and there were a lot of metal shavings in it...that's not good! I guess mine are lemons, that happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite Quality Issues [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the Xaero rear hub issues, for a while Spinergy was using an Edco-sourced hub that had a weak pawl retainer clip. When the clip broke, the pawls would no longer engage. Not a big deal if it happens on the trainer at home. A big deal if it happens 50 miles from home or in the middle of your Ironman.

Apparently there have also been some issues with the bearings.

If you're looking for a 30mm deep rim and want some shock absorption, buy a set of Ultegra/Velocity Deeps and put fat tires on them. Maybe not as sexy, but much cheaper and much more durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite Quality Issues [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats exactly right about the EDCO hubs. We have switched to a hub using components made by Hadley Racing here in California. He is well known for his bomb proof downhill and tandem hubs. He uses a much more robust pawl spring and larger pawls. His design positions the 3 pawls exactly 120 degrees apart, the EDCO looked like a 2 pawl design with a 3rd pawl added later. Hadley has also made a freehub that will retrofit the older EDCO hubs but built to his standards. We have had zero problems since we made the switch. If anyone is having trouble with a rear hubs I would be willing to bet they are EDCO. If you have problems with an EDCO/Xaero hub please have your dealer contact us and we can get the retrofit body out to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Xaero Lite Quality Issues [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

Is there any way that one can tell the hub type by simply looking at the wheel? Or do you have to remove the freehub body?

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unfortunately you have to remove the casstte body. Pretty easy though just a 17mm lock nut and the whole thing slides off. The older EDCO models had a black ring between the splined cassette body and the pawl carrier. The rest of the unit should be a champaign color. The newer hadley models were all champaign, cassette body, pawl carrier and ring. That being said, the new retrofit bodies from Hadley for the older EDCO hubs also have a black ring. So if your body has been replaced already and it has a black ring then dont worry it is the newer upgrade version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Paul and others...thanks for all the great info. So how do you tell what type of hub is on the wheel, I'd take a look but the wheel is still at the bike shop. Is the name stamped anywhere or are there other distinguishing features? When was the change to the newer hub made? My wheels came on a 2003 Cannondale Ironman 2000 so I assume they would be 03's and would already have the new hub.

Thanks!
Quote Reply