Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! "Ghost Shifting"
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this is a novice mechanic problem but I'm experiencing some ghost shifting (down to a lower gear) when climbing or when really hammering on the flats. What is the best way to correct this and which direction do I turn the rear derailleur adjustment?

Thanks in advance, Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Help! "Ghost Shifting" [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call these guys:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, I'll get Dr. Vaichman on it right away! OK, now I can't get Ray Parker Jr's song out of my head...Who ya gonna call?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm a big chicken when it comes to busting ghosts, but for shifting problems I'd check to make sure the cable tension is OK (probably is, if you can shift OK normally) and then take a hard look to make sure:

a. Rear derailleur hanger isn't bent

b. rear derailleur mounting bolt isn't loose

c. your chain is OK and doesn't have any problem links or pins.

Get that ghost!!!

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy does not do that.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Help! "Ghost Shifting" [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you know that its not Campy? OK, you got me...its ShimaNO!

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Help! "Ghost Shifting" [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Campy does not do that.
Mine did - But only after 40,000 miles when my old 8-speed Ergo lever finally wore out. It would slowly shift across the cassette all by itself. The shifter is so old (1993) that Campy doesn't even make the parts to repair it any more. Bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

ssn759co indicated to make sure, "your chain is OK and doesn't have any problem links or pins."

But a worn chain or drivetrain components will cause ghost shifts too. Be sure that checking your chain includeschecking it for excessive wear.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, are you using Shimano 105 by any chance? I am, and I have this problem too. A lot. I have been doing what LC said and it helps. It's still a pisser though. Man, I need to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! "Ghost Shifting" [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ben but its a brand new Sram chain and New R-9 Cassatte.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the Shimano site and DL the installation instructions for whatever compoonent group you have.

I'd just go through the instalation again, it's really quite simple as long as you pay attention and go in the correct order. Be careful not to strip the screws!

Good luck

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

You are safe on that aspect, then.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have similar problems with my Ultegra setup. I've found that a good thorough cleaning makes the problem go away, but only temporarily.

Nothing like getting out of the saddle and really going for it on a seep climb and all of a sudden you drop a couple of gears. Its worse on a big fast descent when you're hammering in a big gear and you get an unexpected shift...those can cause some big wobbles.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

How old are your shifters and how many miles do you have on them? If they have high mileage on them, the shifters just might be worn out. I'm not sure of the internal configuration of the Shimano shifters, but on the Campy's there are ratcheting gears that eventually wear down, round over and lose the ability to stay in one gear. I would guess this is also the way a Shimano shifter would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! "Ghost Shifting" [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand new DA 9-speed shifters, less than 200 miles on them.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1000 miles on mine...clickety clackety clickety clackety clickety clackety.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I'm probably barking in the wind again but are the cogs and chainrings new too?

Ben Cline

Quote Reply