Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training For High Heat/Humidity Triathlon
Quote | Reply
For all of you who participated in the Seahorse Challenge this past weekend, you know that it was brutally hot with temperatures around 90 degrees.

Any advice on how to prepare or train for weather like this? Especially if you live in an area where these temperatures are rare?
Quote Reply
Re: Training For High Heat/Humidity Triathlon [Monster Trunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been training down here in South Florida for six years. I am certain a few more years will get me acclimated to the heat. Of course, I said the same thing a few years ago.

The only thing that really seems to help me is to get skinny. Less fat to hold less heat that way I guess.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the perfect solution to the heat problem. Build a time machine, go back before you were born, and get Paula Newby-Frasier's parents DNA. SHort of that you are shit out of luck. I've found that being good in the heat has more to do with your parents, than any training that you do in training. You can make yourself a little better by doing all the little things that people have found that work, but you can never overcome bad heat genes. On the other hand, try and enter some really cold races, you may find that is where your real genitic talent is hidden....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like all all aspects of this sport, there're no easy fixes for training in high heat and humidity. The key being high humidity, which really drains the sweat and electrolytes. The only way to train FOR high temp/high humidity conditions is to train IN high temp/high humidity conditions.

My tactic normally involves hydrating with loads of sports drinks the preceeding 24 to 48 hours (my favourite being Pocari Sweat due to its neutral taste, this ensures your vital organs are well hydrated going into the event), sip (not gulp) the standard 1 litre per hour of fluid during the event (once again a sport dink of some description as water will dilute remaining electrolyte levels) and during endurance events pop a couple of salt tablets after 2 hours to make sure your salt levels remain adequate.

I was noting the elite field at the Singapore Tri will be starting at 10.00am. Us mortal age groupers start at 7.00am, I don't envy them at all with a start at that time of day in the hot equatorial sun. The Macau tri of last year was one of the hottest triathlons I've done. People were literally melting down all over the run, now that was hard work.

Always wear a hat on the run as well. Just wearing a sun visor doesn't keep the direct sun off your cranium, which means you will fry faster. The cap you keep well soaked, hopefully staying cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to perform well in the heat you need a huge cardio base so your system is entirely efficient and it can handle the additional stress of heat. body weight needs to be optimal as well. i found that even 5 pounds extra would negatively effect my performance. finally, experience in the heat. if the two prior points are there, but you have no experience in the heat, you might as well call it a day. you need to be heat trained to race well in it.

it takes some time to adapt to heat training. at first your mileage might be less, and pace slower. gradually though performance and ability will improve. heat training is an area where you really have to pay attention to your body and how you feel and quickly respond. you have to realize that your mileage could be much shorter and pace much slower...all of this is a part of heat training. it takes time to adapt and a committment to the heat (in other words, you can't bag it and go inside to train and hide from the heat, it won't help you come race day). you've got to take it slow, it's serious conditions and stressful on the body. mentally it will help you to leave your watch at home so you don't dwell over your pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've read acclamation takes 10-14 days. I've also heard that just being outside during the day is helpful so when you’re not training just pull up a chair and enjoy the heat.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply