South African Shark Attack (CNN link)
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...tack.reut/index.html

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh God...don't let Marisol see this. it's the last thing she needs to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, spear fishing is ringing the dinner bell for sharks.

We did a shark feed dive at a resort in Cuba several years ago. The dive masters went in and speared some fish and it wasn't long before the sharks showed up. These guys would hand feed the speared fish to 10 ft long bull sharks. The sharks took the food out of their hands like my black lab. One of the most amazing things I've seen in my life.
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Florida-based International Shark Attack File says 61 shark attacks were reported in the world last year, slightly up on the 2003 total of 57. Seven of last year's attacks were fatal."

How many people were struck by lightening?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thousands I think, literally. Personally I've never had any problem with sharks. They are like big, fast dogs. If they are in the water with you, you have to keep an eye on them.

Actually, having said that, since dogs are smarter they are probably more dangerous.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big, fast dog? Wow. I'm very thankful that we don't have dogs like that around here. I'll take the grizzly bears anyday. I don't think grizzly bears will come and bite you just to see what you taste like... or at least I really hope not.

Lehmkuhler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in SA. This kind of thing is not uncommon. And great whites are prevalent in the area around where IMSA takes place, but not that time of year. Also 2000+- people splashing about will scare any shark away. I would not fear any sharks issues at IMSA, the wind however that is something I would worry about in a place nicknamed the windy city with a race starting on Hobie beach, the most popular sailing venue in SA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/...ding+off+of+Sand+Key

Sptimes.com Times Publishing Co. May 28, 2005

A small shark bit a Lakeland woman in the arm Friday evening as she waded about 10 feet off the beach at Sand Key County Park.

Michelle Smith, 36, was assisted by park rangers and then taken to Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater for treatment. She did not appear to suffer life-threatening injuries, said county communications director Marcia Crawley.

The attack occurred at about 6:40 p.m. The shark was estimated to be 1 to 2 feet long.

The park was cleared after the attack but will reopen today, the official said.

Reproduced with permission of the copyright owner. Further reproduction or distribution is prohibited without permission.
Dateline: CLEARWATER Text Word Count 91 Document URL:

Thank God Great white sharks are uncommon here in Florida. But ya still have to be careful has Bull sharks bite first then ask questions later!! oh.. Look for a new race next yr the Ironman 1/2 World Champion ships in Clearwater, FL possibly on Sand key beach. Makes ya think!

Paul

Last edited by: El Kabong: Jun 6, 05 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now this makes my swim at Ironman SA next year just that little bit quicker and little less appealing........
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry too much about the swim at IMSA next year, just ignore the fact that it starts and ends at Shark Rock Pier!!! :-) I didn't see any this year - thank goodness!!!

As somebody else said, there are thousands of sharks in South African waters, especially down on the Southern,Eastern and Western Cape. The chances of getting munched are slim - that will of course be no consolation to you but it is true!!
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [Wozza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mornin Wozza. I thought you might chime in ! Look at it this way, there's 800 competitiors in black wetsuits and I'll be the only guy in a Silver T1. That should narrow the odds slightly..........
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are wearing your silver T1 they will think you are one of them and leave you alone. OR think you are a large pilchard and fancy a snack! Either way I'm glad I won't be up swimming along side you, I'll be in the middle of the pack so they are full by picking off the stragglers from the edges first!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I wasn't there. Nobody saw me. You can't pin this one on me. Prove it!" Bart Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: South African Shark Attack (CNN link) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittycat, I had already read that! But I guess 7 people a year dying of a shark attack, I should be ok...
Quote Reply