Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many miles on an aluminum frame ?
Quote | Reply
I've put 25-30000 hard miles on a CAAD4 aluminum frame in the last 4 years. It creaks like f!@#$ when when I'm standing and sway from side to side, even if I'm not pedaling. I've changed the headset and the bottom bracket, made no difference. Is the frame about to snap, or just the fork.
Quote Reply
Re: How many miles on an aluminum frame ? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an AL frame w/ at least 30k miles and it does not creak at all.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It varies. You can't make generalizations about materials. Some AL frames last forever, some have relatively short life spans like every material.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the quick releases are tight...a buddy of mine had the same problem, but on a Ti bike. The mechanic riding with us asked him to stop, tightened the QRs and the problem was solved. It's worth a try.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've put 25-30000 hard miles on a CAAD4 aluminum frame in the last 4 years. It creaks like f!@#$ when when I'm standing and sway from side to side, even if I'm not pedaling. I've changed the headset and the bottom bracket, made no difference. Is the frame about to snap, or just the fork.
If your frame is creaking, it's already broken. Chances are good that it is an interface (stem/bars, frame/BB, pedals, etc.) that is making the noise.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How many miles on an aluminum frame ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope you're wrong because my 1999 cannondale multisport has been creaking for like a year but it still rides great.
Quote Reply
Re: How many miles on an aluminum frame ? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i hope you're wrong because my 1999 cannondale multisport has been creaking for like a year but it still rides great.
For there to be noise, something has to be moving against something else. What part of your frame is moving against another part of the frame? You might want to put it on a trainer and have someone listen while you pedal, and see if you can determine where the creak is (use a stethoscope?).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2002 Fuji Team with about 10K on it and it creaks like crazy. Now it could be that Fuji frames are not built as well as others?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a QR private reserve since early '98 and it's still got the original crankset and bottom bracket (never removed) and not a creak on it anywhere. The only signs of wear are up at that weird carbon fiber gusset thing at the top-head-downtube junction.

It might just be your particular bike. I read somewhere that aluminum frames are generally solid for 4 to 6 years. Beats me, though. I don't know what makes 'em work, I just drive 'em.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. It's actually more than just a creak, bikers on the other side of the 4 lane road look over as I pass. Tried the quick releases too. Just don't want something to break when I'm doing 45 down Ridge Park, Newport Beach. I'd hate to get to the bottom before the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Vitus aluminum that is 19 years old and has >50,000 miles on it. The frame doesn't creak but the handlebar/stem does when I stand to climb (I've got the old Cinelli 1R stem on it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like those who posed earler I suspect your frame is fine. In fact I have broken many, and they never made a sound. I would check the seat post and saddel, clean and lube those areas.

Paul

Quote | Reply
Had similar loud creaking from my 2000 Cannondale Multisport, mainly when cranking hard uphill. Gone when the bearings in the back wheel were replaced. My bet: it isn't the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: How many miles on an aluminum frame ? [trinhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take it to your local bike shop and have it checked out ASAP.

Why gamble on something that could either be nothing - or something that could throw you down the road unexpectedly?

Cannondale has a sweet frame replacement policy also - giving a generous discount towards the purchase of a new frame.

Worth looking into - find your local Cannondale dealer - get it checked out.

Please????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get it checked out. i've broken two alu frames, and they creaked like mad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your pedals and your cycling shoes. I had the same problem and It went away by lubricating the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try putting some grease in your dropouts and make sure your qr are nice and tight. I was having the same problem, but I double checked everything and it was nice and tight. The sound seemed as if it was coming from my bb with every peddle stroke, however it was resinating(sp?) through the frame from my dropouts. Also, different climate conditions can have an affect on a frame and its maintenance....

Best of luck.

SK...

"I'm single, I can take chances. When in doubt I put on a coat when performing a slipindictomy!"
Quote Reply
Re: How many miles on an aluminum frame ? [Special K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I only have the creak when I am in my seat, stand up, even in a big gear, creak goes away. Just had the BB repacked by LBS this weekend.

Bike is only 6 months old, glad to hear it isn;t just me
Quote Reply