Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom D TT question
Quote | Reply
Tom, I am coming down to meet Julian and Bryce on Sat. the 18th and am doing the TT with you guys. Do I need a jersey with sleeves? I just realized I don't own such an item. Monk said something about this at his first TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [Mr Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim,

Well, the man to ask about this is actually Ben Cline on this forum. Off the top of my head, and don't quote me on this, I would err on the side of safey and say "yes". I believe the event is run in compliance with USA Cycling rules.

If you need a jersey with sleeves we can set you up for the day- no worries.

I hope I am well by then. Man, I feel like pooh.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom, I would actually prefer to borrow a jersey since I hate sleeved jerseys and gave the only one I ever owned away. No sense buying something I would only use once. I hope you feel better, that crud you have has hung on for a while. I'm off the buy supplies to monokote disc my rear wheel, I'll post some pics later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking- we'll just lend you one. Who knows, Ben may grant you an exemption since we have an international contingent at the event.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can wear whatever you want.The Saddleman P.A.T.T. is for fun!!(and a little bragging rights) P.A.T.T stands for personal achievement time trial.The idea is to race against yourself and see how you improve over the season.We encourage rides to improve their times not to race for places.The big dogs race for fast times.The wannabes race for improve their own time.You can ride a unicycle naked and compete(might get a ticket for indecent exposure)A helmet is a must.Club lore says the fastest time is the low 20'sTom D did 22 and change.It looks like the weather might be good for a fast time.Good Luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [pedalrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the record for PATT is held by Charlie McCall, USMC, who set it on a fixed gear about 9 years ago. His time was sub 20:00 if I recall correctly, an average speed of over 30 mph!

Charlie was on the Marion College Cycling Team and a pretty elite level racer who once competed as a Pro in the Corestates U.S. Pro Championships. I think he did a turn in Europe too.

He injured his back in Iraq as a Explosive Ordinance Disposal man with the Marines while lifting something heavy. He has had difficulty riding since then.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for Ben Cline, but I would be suprised if he wouldn't allow you to race with a sleeveless jersey.

If you want to PM him, he is a regular on the forum - Wants2ridefast is his handle. Or, contact info for the club is at www.lmb.org/saddle.

There is an agreement amoung participants to adhere to the rules, but I believe that is to get the club prepared for race conditions in the official TT's.

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [pedalrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news, I won't be bringing my unicycle!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr Jim,

Our cycling Club just hosted the Farm Lake Tour this past weekend having returned this organized cycling ride to the calendar and to the Plymouth area after an absence from the calendar of about three years and an absence from Plymouth for about ten years. Most participants had a great ride and indicated they were glad we brought the ride back and to Plymouth and they were looking forward to next year to do it again.

So what does that have to do with our Club's montly time trial? Just that we all have been very distracted from everything else, including SlowTwitch for the past couple weeks.

The time trials are not USCF sanctioned races. You can wear a sleevless jersey if you wish. You won't be disqualified. Many of us view these time trials as practice races for sanctioned races besides a test of fitness. As such, we try to keep things legal and constant so the results are more meaningful. But that choice is yours.

In your case, you might ask a cycling buddy if you could borrow a short sleeve jersey rather than buy one just for this time trial.

For many, this is their first experience with time trial racing. Many get "infected" with the virus after only one effort. I hope to see you there.

By the way, the course is closed to traffic and there are no marshalls on the course. It is possible to cheat to any degree you desire but this Club stuff is all about having some fun and good clean sportsmanship.

I hope this helps to give you a better expectation of what is taking place on the 18th. Be sure to get there early enough to be ready to race at 9:00 AM. We usually start as soon as the Park Authority closes the road to traffic. Sometimes they drag their feet a little bit, but we usually wait until they are done.

The first time trial this year saw 23 participants. The second time trial conflicted with a local road race and 5 of our regular participants did the road race instead of the time trial. That Saturday there were 17 participants. This coming time trial could break the recent record for participation which is 29 participants.

There will be a professional timer timing the event. All cyclists are welcome to come and participate. Our youngest participant was 11 and our oldest participant has been 67 years young. Some ride on road bikes, some on mountain bikes and of course there are some who race on fully tricked out time trial machines.

The time trials are free (no charge for our Club members). There is a $5.00 participation fee for non Club members to help defray the cost of the timer, but you can join our Club the day of the time trial and if you participate in two or more time trials the cost of individual membership in the Club is "free." Membership is $10.00 for and individual membership and $15.00 for a family membership.

I am planning on being a gracious host and waiving the participation fee for our visitors from England, Julian and Bryce. They are adding value to everyone's experience by turning this into an "international" event and coming to the States from England is no small expense. Besides, I'm just as interested as everyone else to meet them in person. They will become something more than just a screen name.

I can hardly wait!

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Good news, I won't be bringing my unicycle!
Julian in England."

Julian,

I am devastated and grossly disappointed to discover this news. I will have to reconsider waiving your participation fee even though you are our foreign guest.

I was so looking forward to being a witness to a streaker on a unicyle.

If we take up a collection (pass the hat) to help you manage the airline surcharcharge for shipping the unicycle, will you reconsider and bring it?

Just kidding. LOL

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Ben with the banana saddle on the unicycle, no-one will know!!!

Adds a new definition to "skinsuit" but would command a lot of sponsor space:-(

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D TT question [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to worry I'll ride anything that has wheels !!!!

We will be there all guns blazing in just over a week and halfs time. Any other slowtwitcher who fancy trying to whup some english gear munching ass come on down !!!
Quote Reply