Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Group Ride Q: Flatted Tire
Quote | Reply
It didn't happen to me, but it occurred to me on a spirited ride today, what do you do if you flat in a group ride? Do you just stay in place and roll to a stop; do you try to pull off the pavement to the right, possibly crashing or damaging a wheel; do you pull out to the left (unless there is someone there)?
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 5, 05 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Group Ride Q: Flatted Tire [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless you're at the back, you stay where you are and come to a stop, people will notice you have a flat. with a flat, there is a chance that if you move out of the way, the tire comes off and then you crash and take whoever is behind you.
you can also raise your hand to call the team director car with spare wheels, but, just to warn you, there are none behind you ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Group Ride Q: Flatted Tire [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
you can also raise your hand to call the team director car with spare wheels, but, just to warn you, there are none behind you ;-)
That guy in the Peugeot who comes along side and hands me gatorade bottle doesn't have spare wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F..k! where do you train? can I come with you?

remember that scene in the lance chronicles where LA stops his ride and there is like a little tent with food ready for him etc...
man, do this for me and I win the Tour too! (just to fuel king kong's bullshit posts...just kidding of course)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on Francois with that kind of aid you should be able to double for the year and win the Tour and the Ironman World Championships. He he he... just thought I would join in the bantering. have a great weekend.

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Re: Group Ride Q: Flatted Tire [craigtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, my prep is a bit short this year...I am playing Wimbledon next week and hope to win the singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
Then, I will have a running camp in Kenya (they need help). Then the Tour starts...and I have no team this year, doing it solo.

in the evening during the summer, I am also on call in the ER and have some heart surgeries to perform, so I am quite busy right now so I should only be able to post 20 times a day on St.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1- Holler "FLAT!!!"
2- Ride straight and true while you slowly decelerate
3- If you're on a windy, high-speed decent, replace "FLAT!!," with "F**K ME!! at step#1 and replace "ride straight and true" with "kiss your ass good-bye," in step #2.

#3 contains the two primary reasons why I have Slime® liners in my tires for ALL training rides. I flat less than once ever 4,000 miles. That also keeps me from getting dropped and left to the wolves when doing rides in unfamiliar territory. Having once flatted on the only straightaway of a high speed descent (thereby surviving, albeit somewhat soiled in the chamois region...) and also having experienced a phantom goathead thorn that caused me three flats in a row and got me dropped on a rainy ride in BFE, I consider Slime® liners the most important part of any training ride.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is I am very disappointed in you if that is all you are doing!!!! I mean come on how come you are not at the French Open you slacker. Good luck with all the little work you have got going over the summer. BTW in a serious tone. I am taking my oldest daughter now to catch her flight to your beautiful country. She is part of the Student Ambassador program visiting France and the UK this summer. Just had to brag a bit on my daughter. Good luck with all your upcoming races this year....

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
F..k! where do you train? can I come with you?

Sorry Francois--this is a serious group. Maybe you can come along on the recovery rides. :)
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 5, 05 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, I know, I am getting lazy...
Hope she has fun in France, and she comes back with good things to say about my country (probably will come back saying Parisians are so rude, but everyone in France knows that...)
Summer is the best time of the year for strikes of the public transports though...hope she doesn't get any of this crap!

was thinking that if Paris gets the Games in 2012, the public transports would love to strike just for that...

Btw, tell her to address people in french first...just 'bonjour' with an american accent (that french love) will go a long way ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, I can ride without my training wheels now...and I can grad my bottle without coming to a complete stop!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice Francois I am on my way out the door now. I will tell her that. I am sure she will have a great time.. Thanks...

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am taking my oldest daughter now to catch her flight to your beautiful country
My former-GF and her daughter are going as well, in July I believe, coinciding, coincidentally, with the TDF. A graduation present for a 4.0+ student and a very nice young lady.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
hey, I can ride without my training wheels now...and I can grad my bottle without coming to a complete stop

How about chainring grease marks on your right calf? Somebody had that as an idea for a tattoo--I think that is the best ever. Doing nothing but IM training up until now, and riding alone, I do not have the hang of remembering to downshift at lights, and it takes me about two miles get both feet clipped in.
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 5, 05 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an awesome trip. A good friend of mine and his family are heading over for the Tour also. Just dropped my daughter off and man were those kids excited to get going. I just pray they have a great time and all goes well. Take care....

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply