Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Commuter Gear ... What do you carry
Quote | Reply
What do you guys carry on your commute to work? I am not interested in loading myself completely down with gear so I can take everthing that's in my car. I do have to take a computer, small and lightweight Dell X300 - smaller than most laptops, some papers, maybe a rain jacket. Can shower and keep clothes at work.

Is a messenger bag enough? Or have you all found that you have to get fully loaded with large bags? Also, what's the minimum you guys find you absolutely need to get back and forth?

Commute 12.5 miles each way; back country roads with minimal traffic. Thanks.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Commuter Gear ... What do you carry [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cell Phone

Photocopy of driver's license

Pump (NOT Co2, or Co2 AND pump.)

2 tubes and patch kit

small tool kit:

allen key set, chain tool, 2 tire irons (1 wrapped with a foot of duct tape,) couple of zip ties

2 dollar bills, 2 quarters (phone call money, bills for tire boot.)

Arm & leg warmers, rain cape/wind vest (dpending on time of year.)

Smallest Petzl/BD headlamp

cycling cap

pair of nylon/latex surgical gloves (pack up incredibly small, and are surprisingly warm when hit by surprise rain storm.)

I can fit all of this, plus an Ipod Shuffle in my jersey pockets, but use an undersaddle bag and a medium size ziplock in my courier bag.

I use an Ortlieb backpack style bag, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Commuter Gear ... What do you carry [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry a Co2 and two cartrigdes, couple of hex keys 2 tire irons a tube and a patch kit. In my courier bag is usually rain gear U lock and anything I need for work. I keep baby wipes at the studio and my other job has a shower if I need it i usually don't as it is a short ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, a courier bag is enough. Believe it or not, Timbuk 2 has a laptop-specific bag to protect your computer and put the pads where you need them.

Otherwise, flat kit, tire boot - $5 bill doubles as emergency cash and boot, chain tool, spoke wrench.

rear blinky light - vista lights are awesome, serious lighting system if riding at night, otherwise a "The Frog" LED light is an attention getter and can light the way if you get caught riding late.

Fenders are very, very nice to have for the one time you need them and will nearly eliminate the need for raingear (there will not be a great deal of "new" cold water on your body - sort of like a wetsuit)

If it's not cold, screw the jacket and just get wet. If it is cold, invest in a very $$$ jacket, like the Hincapie windtex jacket.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking as a cheap college student who enjoys commuting up to 40 miles each way, I definitely love the comfort of a good, medium-sized messenger backpack. I second the Ortlieb recommendation. I see and know plenty of messengers who swear by that bag. I ended up with the Crome Ranchero.

http://www.chromebags.com/

That said, I carry clothes, books, a lock, and various other things while commuting for at least an hour (that's if I drive in). So, for you I'd say get a standard messenger bag. They're small, you can buy them with a laptop insert, and you have easy access to everything while you're riding. Make sure you get one with a cross-chest strap. These come standard on Timbuk2 and Chrome bags, and I'm sure many others have this design, too.

It looks like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I carry in my rack mounted trunk:

Lunch (Takes up the most space)
Clean gear to ride home
Wallet
Cell Phone
Not much else

Tools –Allen wrenches, two tubes, patch kit, Tire levers, these stay in my under seat bag so I don’t need to move them when I take the rack off of my bike.

I also use a pump rather than CO2, since some times I have had more that 1 flat on a ride and I don’t want to be stranded with out a way to inflate a tire.

Once a week, when I need to carry my computer I use a Jansport Odyssey Backpack.

I also use this as a chance to restock the things I need at work like work clothes, running gear, towels, etc.

I also have the usual head lights and blinking tail lights to see and be seen while riding in the dark.
Last edited by: burgerdp: Jun 3, 05 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry my cellphone, wallet, keys, and security gate badge in my jersey pockets.

What I carry in my bag (a backpack) depends mostly on the season. In the warm months I carry a small towel and baby wipes to wipe myself down. In the cooler months I carry an extra sweater.

My clothes? usually just a long-sleeved t-shirt, underwear, and light. Ahhhh, the joy of wearing coveralls at work. I've also been known to ride straight to school from work, so I'll lug my notebook sometimes as well.

What else in my backpack? Deodorant, my locks, two spare padlocks (you never know), hand sanitizer (to clean my nether regions), spare tube, my breakfast, and a set of hex wrenches.

My backpack is some JanSport thingy that I bought at Cabela's last year. It's real nice. However, I don't know what I'd use to lug a laptop around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bare minimum is patch kit, 2 spare tubes, 3 CO2 carts + inflator, tire irons and multi tool. Non riding gear is wallet, cell phone and keys.

If I need to take clothes, food or rain gear, I've got a back pack.

I've been commuting full time for a couple of years and that set up works well for me.
Quote Reply