Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can Disc Wheels handle Clydesdales???
Quote | Reply
I was considering a disc this season. Has anyone over 200 lbs. had any problems with a disc. I e-mailed Hed and they didn't reccomend that I ride their disc. I e-mailed Renn this morning. I know Zipp makes a Clydesdale disc, but what's the difference? Does it have a stronger rim or more composite material for strength?

I don't want to blow money on a wheel that will go out of true after a few rides (races) because of my size. If the rim goes on a disc, it would seem to me that it's over for that wheel.

Does anyone here have any experience with this, or do any of the bike shop or bike industry people here have any knowledge on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Can Disc Wheels handle Clydesdales??? [bigclyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes definitely, I've been riding a Renn for several years with no Probs I weigh around 215
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been racing with a disk since the early to mid 90's. I usually race anywhere from 200-215 lbs. I have never had a problem with a disk. I am now riding the Zipp 909 disk. As for the Clydesdale version, this only applies to the deep rim wheels, I believe. They simply have more spokes than the regular wheels. I am pretty sure the Zipp disk is the same. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 195. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But a Corima. This is a company whose main business is making carbon parts for military helicopters. They know carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 210 and ride a Zipp 909 with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank Rehnelt said that the weight limit on the Renn Discs are 260
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im 230lbs and have had no problems with the HED disk

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Clydesdale specific disc started life as a project to build a stiffer disc for Clydesdale weight athletes, but after a lot of testing and input from Team Clydesdale, we jointly determined that the standard disc adequate for riders up to 400lbs. Our 12 segment uni-fiber construction and 100% carbon fiber rim (no aluminum hoop or bonding) yields a wheel with uniform lateral stiffness regardless of wheel rotation, compared to a woven fiber disc which will be stiffer in 2 or 4 radial planes than in others. We also have over 80 National and World championship medals in tandem TT and tandem track sprinting in the last 5 years (the track disc and road disc are one in the same with a flip-flop hub allowing it to be used as either so we do not make a bulked up track variant) so that hopefully provides some piece of mind.

Also, we do not make helicopter parts, but up until 4 years ago when we split the company in two, we were manufacturing custom designed carbon wings and chassis components as well as doing carbon monocoque tub repairs for numerous teams in both CART and IRL (our factory is 2 blocks from the Indy Motor Speedway), as well as manufacturing carbon inlet ductwork for F15 StrikeEagles, carbon winglets for business jets, and dozens of other military and civilian aircraft components. There was even a period where we were making most all of the custom carbon driver seats for Indy and Champ cars, and the drivers would come in so that we could make a molds of their bodies to fabricate the seats from...half of those guys ended up buying wheels which were being made all of 10 feet away from the mold shop, and we still have many of those drivers as customers today, as cycling is a very popular way of staying in shape amongst race drivers.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply