Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of looking around for a new tri bike, and may have a Cervelo P3 frame lined up for a good price (slightly used, but as good as new). I would like to go with the new Dura Ace 10-Speed Group Set when it comes out soon, but i understand that the 10 Speed Bar End Shifters wont be available for a little while. What I was thinking was getting the 10-Speed groupset, but using it with my 9-Speed Bar End Shifters and a 9-Speed Cassette and Chain until the 10-Speed Bar End shifters come out. Would this work? Would the Front Derailer and Front Chain Rings be fine with the 9-Speed Chain?

I know that if I don't go for 10-Speed I will regret it later down the track, but I cant wait to get the bike, you all know how it is!!!

Your advice is much appreciated.
Cheers

Jacko
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [Jacko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your nine speed bar end shifter can be used in friction mode by flipping that ring on the side of the shifter. Seems to me that you could use it that way to shift your new 10 speed gear. It wouldn't be that hard to get used to, just like shifting old downtube friction shifters. And just when you get really good at it, the 10 speed bar ends will be out!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read that the 10 speed derraileur was nine speed compatible. If so, you should be fine. No one has this stuff yet though, so we don't really know what we are talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got to play with the new 10's from ShimaNO. You CAN use a 9 speed setup with the new R. Der. as long as you have a 9 speed chain on the bike also. You may want to change out the inner chain ring as well (alla Campy- I THINK...I am not at all sure about that). Or...if you want it right away just get the Campy bar end shifters and they will work fine with the 10's. Plus you get the neato rubber covers on the lever and the ability to adjust the cable at the bar end...nice nice levers.

I am just not sure about that ShimaNO crank...man does it look nice...but remember the old Magic Motorcycle cranks? They are about a copy of those. If I recall properly BB issues is what drive MM into a financial situation that put them to where Crackandfail bought them out and changed the name to "Coda".

I will stick with Campy though...I prefer components with soul.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No matter what - with ShimaNO you wont have this....

Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys, one more thing Record9ti, why would I need/want to change out the inner chain ring?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Campy Record 10, as well as ShimaNO's Durachee 10 the chain is thinner than a standard 9 speed chain. The chain can actually fall in between the chainrings and jam itself in there if you have the spacing that the 9's use. But like I said, I am not sure that is an issue with ShimaNO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what i've heard during the week, the 10 speed chain is basically the same width as the 9 speed, its just the rivets holding the links together have been shaved off to sit flush!?!?

Now I just have to wait for the groupset to be release!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'No matter what - with ShimaNO you wont have this....'

thank god!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how does that make you any faster then any other 9 or 10 ? Carbon bits like that are for the stuck up world of cycling. I would rather show off with them looking at the back of my seat then my crappy carbon bits.I am glad I will never have that, look what I have Campy crap .
Flame away thanks Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of us triathletes look much better in transition than on the course. Yes, we are jealous of guys like you that look good on the course, but we need some way to shine. Carbon bits work.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flame on I need the pain. I do have a carbon fiber Lego set. The only Campy part I have is on my 1970 PX10e it's a pump clip and it cost to much then.
Screw my ego Flame on !!!
Thanks Dirtball

I hate the way light reflects off of campy hubs!~! It bothers my eyes .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>>I will stick with Campy though...I prefer components with soul.<<<

Forgive me for what may be a stupid question, but how do components have soul?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
>>>I will stick with Campy though...I prefer components with soul.<<<

Forgive me for what may be a stupid question, but how do components have soul?

Campy makes bike parts...only bike parts (with a few odd Alfa Romeo wheels in the 70's I guess)

ShimaNO makes bike parts for every bike from $50.00 K-Mart crap to golf clubs, fishing reels and on and on. They are a company that will make any small thing that will earn them a profit. And look at them! ShimaNO Durachee cant hold a light to the finish of Record. Once you ride a Campy bike for a week, you will never go back to ShimaNO (I know, I was a convert)

I bet you dont like Campy for the same reason you would not like a Ferrari...cant afford it. And as far as performance goes....I am not only a tri Geek...I raced USCF Cat 1.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Carbon bits like mastrabation causes blindness and spelling errors !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's interesting because I heard it was narrower. Anyone know for certain?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on being a former USCF Cat 1 racer and a current Tri-Geek! Just to clarify, I never said I don't like CamPY, I just asked how components can have soul (however, I must admit taht I'm not exactly sure what *soul* means as it relates to bits of metal and plastic, but let's not dwell on that).

As far as Ferraris are concerned, Ferrari is owned by the Agnelli Family, which is also the owner of Fiat. So since the Agnelli Familiy doesn't only make high-end cars, but also makes shitty little black-cloud producing cheese wedges, by your own logic Ferrari cars must not have soul either. This in mind, along with your penchant for purchasing only bits of plastic and metal with soul, I presume it is you that would not like a Ferrari.

As for me and my paycheck, we prefer not to be so emotionally attached to inantimate objects, but rather to get out and go fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmm. my daughter's little road bike has a cast off chorus derailleur shifting a 9 spd shimano cassttee through an ultegra shifter. perhaps i can ask a member of the clergy when i next see him, but would this arrangement be akin to driving a soul thru an anti-soul medium ? devilry, perhaps ??? will an exorcism be reqired, do you suppose? complicating the issue, the parts themselves are all bolted to a little surly frame, and as we know surly is a very soulful company in it's own right, albeit less in the "vatican" sense and more in the "ozzy osbourne" or rather, "black flag" vein. i wonder if the very fate of the cosmos and possibly this reality as we know it is being fought out by an indeterminable number of angels upon the head of a cable endcap on that little bike by the Forces of Dark, The Light, and Chaos itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you all dont know what a bike having Soul is - you must have never seen a Colonago, a Yamagucci, a 3Rensho, Basso, custom Waterford, and so many other brands out there. Time to look past the Treks and other bikes that were one of 50 that are made each day by each $8.00 an hour Temp workers in Waterloo. I know the name of each man who built most of my bikes...and shook their hands. Do you think that the person who build your Trek, Specialized, Giant or other "Merida" bikes is a cyclist? Do you think that the people who build your Dura Ace Shifter today and a fishing reel the next are cyclists?

I want to know that the person who builds up my bikes has a passion for what I love. I have ridden commoditiy bikes (pronounced Trek, Specialized, and on and on). They have no soul, there was no love in their creation...only filling a market segment. And to me they all felt dead in one way or another...as I am not a typical rider, with a typical leg length, and typical arm length and typical strength.

It used to be that LeMond bikes all had LONG top tubes, slack angles and were not bikes that many people were comfortable on. The fact was that if Greg was going to put his name on a bike, it was going to be a bike HE would ride with his angles and what he liked - not something that fit a market and could have his name on it. That I bet is why the LeMond's sales were not stellar...only people built like Greg could ride them. BUT...that bike had his name, his angles, and his Soul.

What you all need to do is buy a Cervelo...call Gerard and order it. Ask him to put your Social Security number on YOUR bike as the serial number (most of my bikes have my Social as the Serial). Then, next time you are at a race you go up and shake Gerards hand...you know that he built that bike for YOU, and he made the frame to be a bike that fits your needs and may just remember who you are. THAT is a bike with Soul. A bike that is built by a man who knows that he will have to talk face to face with his comsumers about his products. A man who will see his work as his legecy...that is what I want in a bike. Soul.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in general agreement that bikes and their constituent parts have soul. In fact, one of the reasons I'm training so hard at 60 is to make the Olympics at either of my future destinations. If I go to hell at least I'll have a red bike.... :),

-Robert, who prefers Campy, but has so many bikes he can only afford Shimano.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yamaguchi and 3Rensho are still relatively small companies, but Colnago and Basso are pretty mainstream. I would guess that a Trek 5900 is more likely to be built by a cyclist than a Dream is.

I, too, prefer custom bikes. If nothing else, they help support the "little guy". But truth be told there is no more soul in a Sachs 25th than there is in a Trek. Soul comes from the rider, not the frame or grouppo.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10-Speed Config Questions [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would guess that a Trek 5900 is more likely to be built by a cyclist than a Dream is.
I have been in the facory at Waterloo...I think you may be shocked...I know I was. It was very disturbing to me actually...there were employees there that had not only no idea what they were really building...but no real interest. I guess I look at cycling like a religious zelot...."How dare they not care".

Quote Reply