Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At some point, you just have to make a decision to get a Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
I've just come to the stone cold decision that you can't make a 73.5 seat angle road bike into a tri frame without jacking down to a ridiculously small stem length, scooting the seat post forward, and doing all kinds of small things ,to get it do something, it just ain't going to do, at least not without some other problem popping up. I'm at a point now where I'm just thinking about going back to the road bike position with mini clip ons, using the wrist clip on, for the rest of the year and buy a tri bike in the fall. I'm training for my first half ironman, and it is pretty hilly, so I'm thinking of just scrapping the Slacker look and modified road to tri angle crap.

I've read Dan's fit piece probably 100 times. I just don't see how you can open up that thigh angle with a road bike with clip on bars, at a 73.5 angle. I see some of you guys doing this with Trek 5.2s and other road bikes riding 22-23 mph, but frankly at the 24 and up level, they are on Blades, Cervelos, Javelins, Argons, QRs, etc....etc....I don't see how you CANNOT conclude otherwise, more people passing me are on tri bikes at steep angles. I'll have a few roadies setups blow by me but they aren't going at the mach five level.

I've tried the whole spring, buying one new stem after another, flipping it over and finally getting to the correct angle on my road bike. The problem is, on a modified road bike with drop bars, you've got to slightly come up to shift, and when or if you do, lift up even a bit to shift or go up a hill, the bike is not stable on the front. Also, I still can't get my feet back to the back where I'm using hamstrings.

So, I think some of you guys are right. You should just keep one road bike and get a real tri bike with a seat post angle greater than 74 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: At some point, you just have to make a decision to get a Tri Bike [DarthTriVidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check this out from April 2000:

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=126

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: At some point, you just have to make a decision to get a Tri Bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Better said than me.

I think its just best to ride the road bike like a roadie, maybe with those little mini clip on things and just deal with the cards laid down.
Quote Reply
Re: At some point, you just have to make a decision to get a Tri Bike [DarthTriVidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. That is how my R2.5 is set up- with shorties. My new Bianchi just has drops on it. I'm building it now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came to the same conclusion this year. I just couldn't get my Kestrel Talon to work exactly right as a tri bike. I have it dialed in as a road bike now. I have never enjoyed riding the bike more. It is a dream as a road bike but only pasable as a tri bike. I picked up a Quintanna Roo PicanTi for a tri bike. I really enjoy that bike as well. I enjoy the real tri bike much more than the Kestrel as a tri bike. Both bikes are a joy to ride rather than a compromise. I do all group rides on the Kestrel as well as hill repeats. Almost all of my solo rides are done on the Quintanna Roo. If you can afford it, having two bikes is the way to go.

Mike
Quote Reply