Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot Feet Cycling caused Blisters, Ideas?
Quote | Reply
Did a 152 mile ride with 7200+ elevation gain yesterday from home up over Mt Hood into Hood River and then back along a merciless strong head wind for 55 miles. Day before it had been a tail wind. Temp was 75-82. Got really bad hot feet in last 40 miles or so. Great ride. With 2 flats and the wind took 10 1/2 hr total with 9:23 on the bike.

Realized this am that have a small blister or tender stop in the middle of each ball of foot. Have a half marathon tomorrow. Yikes.

Any thougts on how to prevent that? I have IMCDA next Month. Same bike and same shoes for a couple of years. I made a point to spin over the day rather than grind. Had a 78 cadence avg. I did a 170 ride in April with only about 4800+ gain and didn't get hot feet.

The only change is my seat height may not exactly be in the same spot. The fellow who transported my bike home from the Auburn Half IM(duathlon) last weekend had to lower it and my marking came off. I may have raised it a bit too high. Would this minor change account for it or is it just conditions or something else?

Thanks,

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Feet Cycling caused Blisters, Ideas? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Numbness and hot foot can result from soles that are too flexible, tight hamstrings, or small cleat platform, but generally any foot problems,a nd especially blisters, on the bike are the result of the shoes.

So the answer is - CUSTOM SHOES. I got some D2 customs recently and have been kicking myself ever since wondering why I waited so long to get custom shoes. My first ride with them was 8 hours long so I didn't exactly break them in first and they were/are great. They fit so well I barely need to tighten the straps to hold them in place and having the custom orthotic insole noticeably improved efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it under your second metatarsal head? I get same thing and was advised by foot / orthotic guy it was due to a weak or dropped metatarsal arch. He glued a small arch support underneath my insole just behind, not under, the metatarsal arch. Only cost me $15. Seemed to help but then got a bad blister under the tip of my 2nd toe so I'm still looking for solution. Interested in any other replies.
Peter
Last edited by: konz: May 29, 05 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have required more electrolites. The lack of can cause your feet to swell and cause blisters and hot spots on your feet. Did you supplement? What were you drinking/eating?

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Feet Cycling caused Blisters, Ideas? [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I think that went pretty well for a change. I supplimented with Endurolytes throughout the ride. I might have needed more but feet werenoticably swollen. About 6 durning + 2 before with some tomatoe juice. And used Cytomax with Sustained Energy through ride along with a couple packs of sharkies, a Laura Bar and some Peanut butter filled crackers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some shoes a size larger and drink more. You may also need to up the electrolite still more as 10 hours is a long time. Time for more solid food also.

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply