Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trisuit or a Longer Transition?
Quote | Reply
Howdy

I'm deciding whether or not to opt for a trisuit for an upcoming half ironman. I've done some shorter races where my ironass has been able to handle the bike without any padding - but now I'd like the benefit of the chamois.

I've looked at some trisuits and just can't imagine that running in that would be comfortable. Should I just where cycling shorts under the wetsuit and then change into running shorts in T2?

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trisuit or a Longer Transition? [tomatpomona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on you, I found a trisuit fine for 1/2IM re: padding down there, in fact I am a believer of the "less is more" philosophy (the less padding and fabric the better). The thing I hate about trisuits is that when ya gotta pee after the bike, they can be a pain to get off and on again. I have found myself not putting the top back on after the potty stop, and that was ok too. I have never found running in tri shorts/trisuit to be uncomfortable.

I like them, but only wear them for short courses now, will stick with 2 pieces for long courses solely for the potty convenience.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually wear tri shorts and a tri top, but used an Orca tri suit (not the Elite model) for a slightly less than Olympic distance tri recently. Padding was fine for the bike, but there wasn't much support for my johnson on the run. Plenty of good tri shorts out there with comfortable pads (Pearl Izumi and QR tri shorts pads are a little better than the fleece blanket pad most others have) that are easy to run in. One piece is good to prevent the lower back sun burn, but felt pretty hot.

I wore Pearl Microsensors for Ironman NZ and switched to Desoto tri shorts at T2. Started with them under my wetsuit without a problem. Felt good to change to something dry and fresh for the run. Could have used running shorts, but like the support of the tri shorts.

Barefoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am always using the suits, and feel really comfortable in them, also during the running leg.
The pee thing, just follow this article:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/evacuation.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I switched to a trisuit last year after realizing how much I liked my cycling skinsuits and bibshorts. They just seem to fit better. I have use the trisuit for every distance, including IM. I'd never go back. Much less fuss involved. I like the feel of a tight fabric covering my body. I like the feel of it, too, when it gets wet from sweat - seems to have a cooling property about it. I also like that you can squeeze the cold sponges handed to you at IM distance under the shoulder-strap and run with it. The chamois is a bit thin, but just use a neoprene cover for the bike seat. And, lest body exposed to get sunburned. No brainer in my book.

Robert
Quote Reply