Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

compact square taper options?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I know aboout campy - about $500-600+. The Deda's are $600. The Miche are $700! Ritchey's seem to be octalink only. Carbonlord's about $320 (quite the deal for carbon it seems...).

Any reasonably priced compacts out there for a square taper (ergomo) bottom bracket?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stronglight. $116.00

http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=detail&REF=2835
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nashbar has one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ran into the same problem with no solution... I have looked hard. It comes down to the campy or deda

there is now a centuar level carbon compact crank and IF you COULD find it on ebay, it would run about 350

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [Jack'scolon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also make your own 50/38 by replacing the chain rings. That is the combo I'm using on one of my bikes and its great if 38 is low enough for you. I think the best solution is a set of FSA Gossamer Mega EXO compacts. You chuck the old BB and install the new one which is just a copy of the new Shimano stuff. $179 at Excel sports and absolutly the best value I have seen. Great big bearings, light weight, and I cannot detect any flex at all. Make sure you order the new BB tool (you did not think the old one would work did you?). I put them on a Felt B2 that I built up as a training bike and the bike is every bit the equal to my more expensive Cervelo. The crank arms are aluminum but I see no difference at all between them and the carbon ones (which I tried and sold) except the price. I believe in function over form.
Last edited by: pjrubin: May 27, 05 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [pjrubin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I was trying for a square taper is because they actually spin. The external bearings, ISIS, and even octalink are crap when compared to the zen-ness of a campy BB. I splurged and got the record compact with the front deraileur to match. :)

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [Jack'scolon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good move and one you won't regret.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, About a billion old mtn bike cranks will work..
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used both Campy and Shimano and FSA. In over 10000 miles on 2 different Ultegra BB I have never had a failure. I have over 1000 on new Mega EXO system with no trouble. I also never had any problems with the Campy BB on my wifes Colnago except that it creaks a little. If you just need it to say Record on the side than why participate in this post. If you believe that a Campy BB is all that will spin think again. Just look at the technology. Why would you use a little internally mounted bearing requiring a much narrower axle when you can use an externally mounted sealed bearing that has over 4 times the contact area for the bearings( C=PIE X R squared). The axle is huge compared to the older stlye BB's, both Campy and Shimano. I like the Campy stuff too but time marches on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smtyrrell wisely notes: " About a billion old mtn bike cranks will work.. "

indeed. how funny is the ultra-hip "compact crank" phenomenon when ten zillion 110 BCD cranks - many of them sweet light cold forgings unsurpassed today - graced nearly every mtn bike made in the nineties, and a goodly number of touring bikes from the japanese bike boom before that?

find an old stumpjumper, take off the crank - grind off the granny ring bosses if you must - and presto. likely gonna be free, if you ask nice.

shoot, look around a little and you probably find one in purple anodized, blue powdercoat, etc. start a new hot triathlon trend !!! colors !!!!!

or spend whatever they are getting for those oh-so-cutting-edge "compacts". have i mentioned that is funny?
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTN this fine (old 110 mm bolt pattern MTB cranks) only if you are riding 170 or 175. 172.5 are actually quite difficult to find.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
previous to my new purchase, I was riding a Race Face north shore (a DH crank) with 38/48 rings. Q factor got to be too much for my knees. I would suspect most others would be the same.

I HAVE A COOL SOLUTION!!

Get a White Industries splined chainring (but still square taper) single-speed crank. Someone ( Iforget who) makes a spline to 74mm BCD adapter. Then just throw on whatever rings you want. That paired with a Phil Wood BB would be delicious.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find any 110mm compact square taper cranks on nashbar. there is a 104mm triple.

if you're looking to get a compact crank to fit on an Ergomo, then there's a problem. presumable Ergomo's spindle is compatible with the 102mm ISO taper BBs that Record and Chorus cranks use. you're therefore stuck with Record or Chorus. I believe the Stronglights take 110mm JIS spindles, like the 8s Shimano cranks.
oddly enough, Powercranks seem to be designed for JIS spindles, not ISO. Frank, care to confirm/deny? presumably the 102mm Campy spindle would have given them clearance issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As already mentioned, Stronglight makes a very decent low priced square taper compact crank and BB. They are slightly heavier than Dura-Ace but lighter than Ultegra, at least the 9 sp versions. The BB's are a high quality. I've had mine for two years with no problems or complaints.

http://www.xxcycle.com/...=detail&REF=2835
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C-guy, how's the flu going?

Re: compact square taper options? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been over a week now and I'm still bagged. Will give my GP a call on Monday if I'm not any better although probably not much can be done except to tough it out for a little longer. Missed a du last weekend and a sprint tri this weekend. This really sucks. Haven't been able to do any exercise for about ten days. Great way to start the season.
Quote Reply
Re: compact square taper options? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops.sorry about the nashbar thing. I use a 48x38 130mm . The price was right,like very cheep. I still use those stinking tufo tires to. I just am old and slow and now the mind is going to. Life is still great and so is the weather.

Have a great weekend all Dirt
Quote Reply