Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar HRM question...
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know a way to get a Polar HRM (720si) to register the signal from the transmitter if you put the transmitter on after the stopwatch is running?

For example, in a race if you start the clock at the start of the swim but don't put the transmitter on until T1. Is there a way to get the receiver to start registering the signal from the transmitter without stopping and restarting the stopwatch?

I swim with it under my wetsuit when I wear it but what do you do in warmer races? I've tried putting on the transmitter, hitting the start button (the first time you hit start the HRM "finds" the transmitter) and then taking the transmitter off but the HRM never finds the signal again when I put the HRM back on.

Anybody?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugh,

Have you tried using one of the T-31 non-encoded transmitters? I'm not sure if it would work, but it might -- I'm assuming that when you first turn the stopwatch on, it's trying to find your coded transmitter, and won't recognize it when it shows up later. If you are using the non-encoded type, it might be able to pick it up after the watch started.

Noah
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not really, the transmitter will occasionally pick up the signal 5 min or so into your race in the situation you describe but you'd be better off just restarting it on the bike. Granted you swim split is gone but that's what I do. Actually I usually just use a normal watch for the whole race and leave the Polar on the bike as that's the only time I really want HR. If you wear a 1-pc tri suit you can wear the strap on the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found no way to get it to pick up if it has not got it to start with (I am sure it will not). Also if it loses signal for 10 min (I think), it won't pick up again. Problem if you cafe stop for too long and leave the monitor on the bike! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [tonyoh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 720 is supposed to wait at least 30 min without signal before it resets. That was one of the problems on the 710 where you'd go for a bathroom stop, come back and your monitor was reset. Not sure why your 720 resets so fast. Might want to call Polar on that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the Polar are pretty good HR monitors, they don't really mind being inaccurate in their product specifications and/or accuracy. I usually take what they say with several grains of salt... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not really, the transmitter will occasionally pick up the signal 5 min or so into your race in the situation you describe but you'd be better off just restarting it on the bike. Granted you swim split is gone but that's what I do. Actually I usually just use a normal watch for the whole race and leave the Polar on the bike as that's the only time I really want HR. If you wear a 1-pc tri suit you can wear the strap on the swim.
Actually, the 720i will store a number of separate exercise files, so you'll have access to data after restarting it on the bike afterwards. I've kept files on my 720i for a week's worth of workouts and then downloaded the whole batch of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, didn't mean the swim split will be "gone" it's just not going to be included in your race time anymore. Your cumalative time is now zero again although, yes the swim split is in memory. A week, c'mon crank that memory to the 15sec mode and you get a month:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A week, c'mon crank that memory to the 15sec mode and you get a month:)
Yes, I'm using the 5sec sample rate, but am using the data to provide more detailed crit sprint finish analysis (Speed/HR/Cadence) 15sec is more than 1/2 of the entire sprint, and that would pretty much make the recorded data of little value. Also, I'm recording cadence data, which also uses memory faster. When recording less, I've gone longer than a week though :)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar HRM question... [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try adding the power kit, you'll burn through memory like crazy;)
Quote Reply