Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PT question: pedal float and biomechanics
Quote | Reply
Hopefully somebody out there can shed some light on this issue or refer me to a physical therapist who is a cyclist.

I think there is general consensus that pedal float is good for the knees and leg joints in general. I have also heard anecdotal evidence that too much float can be bad for the knees. I have battled IT band syndrome off and on for a couple of years. I have been on Speedplay X series pedals for two years and love them. I have had less problems, but have not been problem free.

In terms of running gait, I am an overpronator, but not severe. I read somewhere (or dreamed I read) that when a pedal system has too much float your legs have to work to compensate for this freedom of movement. This compensation can then result in inflammation. The adjustable float on the Speedplay zeros sounds like it may be the ticket. Any one with some insight on this issue?

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: PT question: pedal float and biomechanics [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a PT, but I'll give my two cents.

I rode the standard Speedplays for a few months in 1999 and just about wanted to have my lower legs removed the morning after ride days. I went back to fixed cleats (Look at the time) and my pains went away.

I now ride Speedplay Zeros and love them. I keep the float limited to a very tiny range.

As with most things related to shoes and whatnot -- we're all different. I happen to hate floating pedals, and my lower legs hated them too. I spent more energy keeping my feet still than I did pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: PT question: pedal float and biomechanics [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian- The Zeros are more and more tempting. That may have to be my big Tri purchase for next season. I am all for learning through experimentation and the adjustable float would certainly give me some options.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: PT question: pedal float and biomechanics [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out shims by Le Wedge. Ever since I put these on, no more knee pain and ITB doesn't tighten up anymore. I wish i put these on years ago!

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...product/lewedge.html
Quote Reply
Re: PT question: pedal float and biomechanics [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
As with most things related to shoes and whatnot -- we're all different. [/reply]

Agreed. On the other side of the equation, I've done [i]all[/i] my timetrialing (and that's serious hammering) plus all regular riding for the past 11 years using no pedal other than the full float Speedplay, and never had an iota of pain in either knee or lower leg. Both of which I had prior to switching to the Speedplay full float system.

Go figure.
Quote Reply