Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scary bike wobble: Should I worry?
Quote | Reply
This evening my road bike went into a frightening wobble on a fast, straight downhill. I have been down this hill dozens of times with no problem. I usually top out at 40 mph in the aerobars, 42 when I crouch down, roadie style. Today a strong wind was at my back and I topped out at 48 crouched down in the drops, which the fastest I have gone on this hill.

That was when the wobble got going: It scared the shit out of me! The guy I was riding with was a few yards behind me and said at first he thought it was the wind but he said the wobble was so 'quick' and my bike was 'flicking.' It was frightening because it started wobbling at the apex of speed and the increased over the course of several seconds. I got up a bit, braked lightly, but the wobble didn't go away until I was back below 40. I stopped at the bottom of the hill and my training partner was wide-eyed.

The wobble definitely felt like it came from the rear wheel or triangle. After I stoppped, I cranked the QR a bit tighter and made sure the headset wasn't loose. I continued my ride which included another short downhill of about 38 mph and never felt the wobble again. I have felt slightly wobbly a couple times decending last summer, but thought it might have been my imagination. I am a wuss at descending.

Questions: At the time, I didn't think to press my knees against the frame. Does that help? Would it have been worse had I been on my aerobars? Any ideas on where a wobble comes from? Should I worry about my rear hub? I had in my skewer for my trainer, is that bad?

I have a 3-year-old Fuji aluminum bike, BTW with late 90s Rolf vector wheels. I've had the BB checked out recently (due to creaking) and my trusted bike tech said no problems with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [TB in MT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wobble is caused by resonance in your wheels. Could be a bad or going bad bearing in your hub, flat spot on your tire, or any number of ROTATING things. Could also be fork chatter at that speed (Stock Fuji forks are not really so hot for high speed). Glad you go out of this okay, some people dont.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that happend to me last summer on my road bike - a steel lemond - at just over 40mph descending during one of the sprint tris in clermont.

I 've avoided it happening again by using my brakes. I just don't let the bike get to 40.

I haven't tried my dual at that speed yet.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont forget, one way to get rid of a wobble is to SPEED UP - that is what I do.

Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really know how to speed up when coasting and tucked in as tight as possible :-) Funny I've never seen any silly threads about getting real low in the drops or with the elbows tucked under the chest: I always pass people on aerobars going down hills that way.

Thanks guys. I know it happens. I may check the rear wheel and hub. Surprised about the steel bike. For some reason I can't imagine my bomber steel cross bike with 36 spoke wheels doing the same thing, but who knows. Fun as it is to descend, I don't need to go more than 45 too often. I want to, but it's against my better judgment. No injury is worth an extra 5 mph for a few seconds (to me). Now Record, he's another story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"another story"? Yeah yeah yeah...you sound like my mother ;^) I will always love the year I did IMLP on a 56 x 11 (700c) and hit over 65+ on the Keene hill (who cares that I had to walk most of the "run" that year)...I had a hell of a bike. I love to be told I am nuts on the decents...and besides, I have crashed that fast before, does not hurt if you are not concious.

Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wobble is caused by resonance in your wheels. Could be a bad or going bad bearing in your hub, flat spot on your tire, or any number of ROTATING things. Could also be fork chatter at that speed (Stock Fuji forks are not really so hot for high speed). Glad you go out of this okay, some people dont.
Not true: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8h.5.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as most technical explanations of just about anything seem to be, that was contradictory.

riding no hands increases the chance of shimmy, but holding the bars makes it worse?

when I had my death wobble scare, it was at the bottom of a hill , and it just so happens the course turns slightly to the left just as the road starts to flatten out.
sounds like perfect conditions for a wobble

I don't remember whether I was on the hoods or drops, but I do remember being concerned, as the pavement was still dark from the rain earlier -

not real wet, but still wet.

I know I was nervous I may have gripped a little too tightly.

too bad really. until that day i really got off on going fast down that hill ;-)

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a combo of certain frames with some riders. I used to get the "death wobbles" on my medium size aluminium Giant TCR on really fast decents. Hug the top tube between your knees and unweight your seat off the saddle a bit and they will stop almost immediately. Also learn to relax your grip on the handlebars a bit.

If it persists then get a different frame. I changed my TCR frame for a Lemond carbon/steel and haven't noticed any high speed wobbles on the same hills where it would occur with the TCR.
Quote Reply
Re: Scary bike wobble: Should I worry? [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. This technical explanation sort of makes sense. Spoke with my Dad last night and he said when he first started riding in the 80s his steel Fuji (a very mediocre bike) would shimmy often on fast descents (35 mph+). He said everyone blamed it on the front part (head tube) just as described. He said it comes from the frame, not the wheel, or so everyone told him. He also said I am probably "outriding" my bike and should upgrade :-) Of course, he's not helping any (until he passes on and I get his Kuota).

Miater: The explanation said the death grip does not help because the human body goes with the shimmy, if I read that right.

Advice from others: DO put my legs against the frame (top tube). If I experience it again at 45 mph, avoid going that fast.

Questions: Is it less likely to occur in the areobars, with more of my weight over the front? Could the high wind that day have started it or excacerbated it somehow? Would it go away if I moved my butt off my seat?
Quote Reply