Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile Aero Drink System Question
Quote | Reply
How do you keep that yellow, plastic mesh thingy in the bottle opening? Mine either falls into the bottle or pops out when riding over big bumps at speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try taking it out, un-rolling it and folding it back up so that it's a little larger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a small tupperware container that fit in the hole and cut the bottom out. Now I have a lid. I suppose it won't be easy to re-fill on longer races but it works great for olys and halfs.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why the thing doesn't have a lid in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [shizno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So you can fill up with an aid-station bottle on the fly and toss it back in one quick motion.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [bosco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
So you can fill up with an aid-station bottle on the fly and toss it back in one quick motion.

OK, but why is there not a removeable lid for those rare occasions when I ride less than 112 miles and don't need to refill it? Why would threads on the outside keep me from refilling it? Do they not want people to use it for training, sprint tris, shorter time trials, etc.? I want to fill this thing up, cap it, and throw it in my car like any other bottle. I want to cross a railroad track without a Gatorade bath. Most importantly, I want something to drink in my bottle after some fast swimming jerk knocks my bike over in the transition area.

Do a search for this thing on any bulletin board and a great deal of what you find will deal with improvising lids and cursing the yellow crap. The demand is there and redesigning the mouth to accept a lid would probably add about 4 cents. You could even charge extra for the lid. And Profile, since you're reading this, when you get this done send me a glue-on adaptor for mine with the insane sloping mouth designed specifically to make life difficult for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason it doesn't have a lid is the same reason the stupid mesh thing is crap is the same reason they sell the thing with two stupid rubber bands that break in short order....the people at Profile Design don't care. They just don't care. Such simple, I mean SIMPLE stuff they could do to make their product better, and more competitive, but they don't. Triathlon is really a pretty small world. The subject of difficiencies in the aero bottle come up on every triathlon forum in existence. How hard could it be for the folks at Profile Design to pay some attention and actually listen and improve their product?

I sent them an email once, with a picture, of a lid I quickly designed with CAD package. I included features that would still allow you to fill it on the fly with a water bottle. I just said, "why don't you guys make a lid like this?" I didn't even get a reply.

Yes, you can roll up the mesh thing and it will work much better. Or you can trash it and get one of those shower scrunchy thingies, like you would use in the shower with liquid soap, and it will work great - no splashing at all. And then the rubber bands will break, and you can tape the thing to your bars with electrical tape, or go get some better rubber bands. And then.....

Or, you could just go get a Jetstream.

-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you don't want to dish out the extra cash for a new jetstream bottle, what i did was i picked up one of the jetstream mesh-sponge type inserts at the local tri shop. costs only a couple of bucks, works MUCH better than the yellow mesh that came with the profile bottle, and fits into the profile bottle perfect. solved all the problems for me, drinks don't tend to splash out as much and you can still refill on the fly.

- The Who
Last edited by: sydnrusty: Aug 18, 03 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Aero Drink System Question [Steve in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... I see your point... sometimes marketing doesn't fit into the equation for some companies. At any rate, when the rubber band break don't replace them with rubber bands, I use bungy cords (6-8 in.). Some people use velcro, but found bungy cords hold more firmly.

And, the option screw on top... sounds like a good idea. And, my service from Profile (re: aerobars) has been less than helpful in the past.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut one of those sponge/green brillo pads into a circle and use it as a cap. It took a couple of times to get it right. The first one I cut too small and it kept falling in. No I can't pour water in through the sponge, but it doesn't take any time to lift the sponge, fill bottle, replace sponge.

Zeke
Quote Reply