Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek 2500 (1999 alu) with Syntace Streamliners, Zipp 440 front and either Hed Jet deep rear, or CHAero.

I figure I get more speed from the wheels than I would from an aero/steepangled frame, so spent money there first. I run faster off this bike in tris than I do in standalone run races..

I have a long torso, so the Streamliners are comfortable: have some shorty bars, Profile Jammers, but feel very cramped with them on.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Last edited by: doug in co: May 19, 05 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old steel road bike all ultegra/105 profile design areo bars modified (no metal stress) "S" bend style.

Grip point on the bends is in the same plane as the brake hoods handeling is no different. Only time I am out of the areo bars is when I group ride with roadies, then I am always on the hoods (I have DA bar end shifters)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guilty (Giant and Profile)

"what kind of wheel set up do you use?"

One in the front and one in the back.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt F35, easton clipons, zip 404s, SLR Tri saddle. Seems to work, although I wish I had got a 54 frame as I can't get any lower at the front and my saddle is as forward as I can get it.

Actually thinking of building up a Scott CR1 based bike with shorties and carbon everything, just for kicks (and the Nice, Fr. tri!)
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [jamesh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I wish I was riding a road bike with clip-ons!!

After selling my ride out of necessity last year, I found a good deal on a used Trek XO Cross bike.

I'm running 105 drivetrain, OpenPro hoops, Avid Cantis and Profile Carbon Strykes. It's heavy but I think I'll be able to make her go this summer, probably not much slower than my set-up with the road bike! The cross bike made a lot of sennse as I commute to work, group rides on the weekends and race cross in the fall. I figure I can suck it up and race it in tris this summer and save up for next year.

Anyone else on a Crosser???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colnago C40 (size 55 w/12 cm stem) with Syntace C2 Clip-ons (Medium) and Zipp 909s/404s. I've used this set-up for 7 Ironmans and more than a dozen 1/2 IMs.

I believe the comfort of carbon, combined with my background as a cyclist makes this a great set-up (FOR ME). It doesn't hurt that Colnagos have a SLIGHTLY steeper seat angle (74 degrees in my size).

However, I must emphasize that I have great flexibility and more than 20 years of RR experience. A less flexible athlete might find a steeper seat-angle "Tri" bike more appropriate for them. My suggestion is to gete on a Computrainer (or other power measuring device) and see what position is the most sustainable for the type of racing you intend to do.

Cheers,

Jonathan C. Puskas

www.wenzelcoaching.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I don't get used to the saddle pain in the aero position soon, my dual is going to become a road bike.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek 2100 w/ Profile Carbon Stryke. Turned the seat tube around and pushed the seat forward, it rides about 78 deg virtual angle. I also took all of the spacers off the head tube and have the stem in the flat position. I have a long torso, so I am a little out in front, but it is comfy and fast.

If I had the money for a custom wheel set I would have bought a Tri bike...

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2002 (steel)Lemond Buenos Aires with Profile Carbon Stryke (old style) clip-ons and Tilium SS wheels.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How many of you ride road bikes with clip-ons? [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
older Giant TC2R w/ Syntace C2 clip-ons and Cane Creek Aeroheads. Standard roadie setup with clip-ons. Off the rack stuff, but then I don't do this for a living or anything.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Quote Reply

Prev Next