Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California wine country advice
Quote | Reply
My fiance is taking me to LA next week for my birthday(also to visit her family) and she plans on taking me for a few days to Santa Barbara to do some wine tasting.

Anyone ever tasted Santa Barbara wines? Any recommendations on wineries not to miss?

Also looking for recomendations for good restaurants in the Buellton-Solvang-Santa Ynez area.
Last edited by: Barrio: May 13, 05 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Not my area, but if you ever come up to the real wine country, let me know.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some nice Fresno State wine or Madera County??

I haven't done that region much but for fun I might like to try Fess Parker Winery (Daniel Boone) or Firestone (The Bachelor). I would probably check out Chimere becuase I like their stuff.

Quote | Reply
Rent 'Sideways'.

"I'm not drinking any merlot!"

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it. Loved it.

I have been telling my fiance that I am looking forward to meeting a wine pourer. For some reason she always punches me on the shoulder when I say it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will ask Tracy, she was out there for 5 months till about a month and half ago. She knows a ton..oh, and if you get a chance have dinner at the Brown Pelican...wonderful. Also, Sushi at the place way north on State St on the west side of the road (but still within walking distance of the beach) I would say 8 blocks up - the other Sushi places are okay, just not as good. Dont forget to go into the cycling clothing store that is on the east side of State St just north of the bridge - all they sell is cycling clothing.

Walk the beach up by the airport and go south - much more to look at (actually, walk the beach by the Brown Pelican).

If you bring your bike, bring some big cogs...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to the real wine country in a few weeks. :) Any advice on a 50-60 mile hilly route starting in Yountville and ending in Calistoga?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [MattFriend05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Climb Howell Mountain Road right on Deer Valley (I think) go up to Angwin and then drop to Pope Valley. I forget how to make the loop as it has been awhile since I have done a ride that way, but there is another good climb out of the valley that takes you back up to Deer Valley. I think you make a left when you drop into Pope valley then not sure after that. The climb out is part of the Napa Century if you can find that on the net. Sorry don't have all the info.

Not sure if you mtb, but Skyline Park has some pretty cool single track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZACA MESA wines are fantastic. The Santa Barbara winery is also excellent. If you are in Santa Barbara for dinner...The Enterprise Fish Co....GREAT FOOD! There is also a restaurant in the Santa Barbara Harbor, I can't remember the name, upstairs near the Coast Guard station....excellent chowder and lobster.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [MattFriend05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, not sure about exact mileage, but I would mix in some combination of the following roads: Dry Creek Road, Trinity Road, Calisotga Road, St. Helena Road (Spring Mountain), Deer Park Road (Howell Mountain), with the alternatives or additions or Petrified Forest Road and/or Oakville Grade. A route might look like:
  • head south from ountville back toward Napa (I am pretty sure there is a frontage road along 29);
  • take Orchard Park west to Dry Creek Road; right/north on Dry Creek Road (go warmup climb that gets steeper toward the end); l
  • eft/west on Trinity Road (steeper still);
  • descend off of the top of Trinity down to Sonoma Hwy (careful on descent);
  • right/north on Sonoma Hwy;
  • ride up Sonoma Hwy to Calistoga Road;
  • right/east on Calistoga Road (on the outskirts of Santa Rosa) (start climbing);
  • right/south on St. Helena Road (still climbing for quite awhile with eventual fun, not so tricky decent off of Spring Mountain into St. Helena);
  • make your way east, across St. Helena to one of the cross-valley roads (ideally Pratt Ave.) until you get to Silverado Trail;
  • head left/west on Silverado Trail;
  • right/east on Deer Park road (you will now climb part way up Howell Mountain);
  • left on Sanitarium Road; right on Crystal Springs Road;
  • left when Crystal Springs Road ends; right on Silverado Trail;
  • left on Lincoln Ave into Calistoga.

Okay, so the above route probably exceeds your 50-60 mile request, but what the hell; it is a geat ride. Thing you can do to shorten it would include heading north from Yountville to start and going left on Oakville grade you will intersect Dry Creek Road and just continue on Dry Creek Road as above. Also, you can simply stay on Calistoga Road instead of turning onto St. Helena Road; Calistoga Road will drop you into...surprise...Calistoga! (By way of Petrified Foest Road, I think.) Finally, eliminate the Deer Park Road climb and stay on Silverado Trail all the way to Calistoga.

Oh, and there is a group ride assocaite with a new bike shop in Napa. While it would not meet your point-to-point request, I beleive that it was described to me as a 60 mile loop, so it would probably be a good way to see where the locals ride (you also might be able to adapt it to your purposes). Bump around on Google to find the numbers for Napa cycling clubs or shops and call tehmt o get the details. Good luck.

Garth
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Climb Howell Mountain Road right on Deer Valley (I think) go up to Angwin and then drop to Pope Valley. I forget how to make the loop as it has been awhile since I have done a ride that way, but there is another good climb out of the valley that takes you back up to Deer Valley. I think you make a left when you drop into Pope valley then not sure after that. The climb out is part of the Napa Century if you can find that on the net. Sorry don't have all the info."

That is a good suggestion, too. It sounds like Jason D is suggesting climbing Deer Park up to Anguin, dropping down the other side on Howell Mountain Road (the same road has different names depending on the side of the mountain); left on Pope valley Road; left on Ink Grade (longer and not nearly as steep as Howell Mountain Road); climb Ink Grade until it intersects with Howell Mountain Road; right on Howell Mountain road to Anguin. On your way back down Deer Park, take a right on Sanitarium, and you can follow the directions in my above post from there on.

Garth
Quote Reply
Re: California wine country advice [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the help...i am definitely looking forward to returning to napa and tasting some wine...and enjoying some nice cycling

Matt
Quote Reply