Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

road bike w/ tri setup???
Quote | Reply
I have posted several questions on by bike choice and bad back, and appreciate the opinions on disk herniations, bikes with higher head tube etc.

I have a bike suggestion from my LBS: a carbon (as opposed to an alu) frame, but road bike geometry with a tallish (160 mm) head tube. The bike is a Kuota Ksano with a complete tri setup, not with road bars. They will position saddle forward etc. My other choices might be (from different dealer) a triathlon specific bike: Javelin Arcole (alu but also with higher HT) or Elite (also alu, also with taller head tube). OR a custom Yaqui or Elite. All of these choice will be in same ($3200- $3700) ballpark with similar components. I have bought 5 or 6 bikes from these guys over almost 10 yrs so I feel some loyalty to them, but not at the expense of my back and wallet!

Advantage of the road frame is that if I can't ride in aero position after a year or so (say I get another disk herniation) I can spend a few hundred $$, easily convert this to a road bike and ride more upright, even do triathlons of course. If I buy a tri specific bike I can't do that. I'm 51, hope to keep the triathlon career (?) going for another 10+ years.

I looked around the site here for some more info on road geometry/tri setup, based on that I think this will put a lot of weight up front and f#$% the handling and weight distribution.

Any opinions on whether a road bike with tri setup is a good idea? will it handle like a pig and tend to throw me in the ditch with the screwy weight distribution?

don't just do something..... sit there
Last edited by: sp in az: May 13, 05 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: road bike w/ tri setup??? [sp in az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy likes the slam postion as a good compromise:

http://www.bicyclesports.com/Slam_Setup.html

Quote | Reply
Another suggestion besides the slam position. Have a look at Softride bicycles. I've never owned a Softride but many low back sufferers have posted here that they are the ticket for this condition.

There are also some new road bikes on the market that are designed with aging baby boomers or people with low back conditions in mind. These bikes have a relaxed geometry with higher head tube and are designed to provide comfort with performance. Examples are the Specialized Roubaix, Klein Reeve, Trek Pilot or the new Giant OCR composite. I'm sure they'd work fine with shorty aero bars.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike w/ tri setup??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C-guy, I was in the bike shop this morning and asked them if they can set me up in the slam position. Answer: what's that? I'm bringing him the article.

Re: road bike w/ tri setup??? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only person to really see would be John Cobb himself. It's nothing that difficult if you read Cobb's article carefully. All he's doing is pushing the saddle back and lowering it a bit. Add a shorty aero bar and a shorter stem for some people. I set up a long legged guy in that position last year and he was faster on his road bike than on his tri bike, so it really does work for some people. I ride my road bike semi-slammed and it seems to work well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to agree with Cerveloguy-try a Softride. I'm 52, have a bunch of joint problems, including some lower back issues, and my TT7 is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. And its set up a bit low for time trialing. Although not commonly seen, this bike could be set up quite easily as a road bike if you decided not to ride in the low aero position and then you would have the world's most comfortable road bike.

Azby
Quote Reply