Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Special Front Deraileur For Compacts?
Quote | Reply
Hi

I just saw an ad for a front derailleur from IRD which is made specifically for compact cranks...

After hearing about the new campy compact group with its special front derailleur specific for compacts I was wondering if there is a noticable advantage...

Wasn't aware that such a product existed for shimano components

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Special Front Deraileur For Compacts? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently Shimano does not make anything compact road (i.e. cranks, deraillers etc) so if you're running shimano and want to say use FSA compact cranks you have 2 choices

1. you can use a standard derailleur however the shifting wont be as good because of the bigger jump in chainring size (53-39 = 14) versus (50-34 = 16) plus the curvature of the derailleur is set up for larger diameter chainrings.

2. you can use a compact specific front derailleur - such as the one from IRD (about $80 canadian) and I believe FSA is coming out with one as well. you could also try running a campy one - but I dont know if you can mix campy front derailleurs with shimano shifters

Campy has come out with compact cranks albeit in uber expensive carbon only as well as a full range of compact front derailleurs starting at the centaur level and moving up to record...I've been having trouble acquiring a front right now...but until a few weeks ago they were pretty widely available...

As for the difference in shift quality - I dont know since I dont have one yet...but others on the board have commented postively...

so in summary use compact front derailleurs if you're using compact cranks...
Quote Reply
Re: Special Front Deraileur For Compacts? [Jekyll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can run ANY Front Der with ANY shift lever...I dont care if it is a 20 year old Nuovo Record or Superbe Pro with a ShitmaNO lever...they are all compatible.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Special Front Deraileur For Compacts? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running an older DA 9 speed front d. over Ritchey compact cranks and can honestly say I have had 0 issues shifting. I have yet to drop a chain or miss a shift evn running 50-34.
Quote Reply