Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are you as fast as T. Rex?
Quote | Reply
Heh, 6min/mile is an average runner. And as the saying goes, "you don't have to be faster than T.Rex: you just have to be faster than someone else"...

(from the web site of the American Museum of Natural History)

Some claim T. rex could run at speeds up to 72 kilometers (45 miles) per hour. But biomechanics researchers argue that the animal moved much more slowly, perhaps only about 16 kilometers (10 miles) per hour—about as fast as an average human runner. These experts say size slowed T. rex down. But why is it so hard to be big and fast? Bones, muscles and posture all play a part

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Are you as fast as T. Rex? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like I'd be lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Not even a 6 min/miler.

But it sounds like I should be b/c I am more Smurf-sized than T-Rex sized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure a T. rex has enough room in its belly for more than one human.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I guess somebody is just going to have to clone one so we can all find out for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read/or watched something that theorized (sp?) that TRex was a scavanger, not a hunter. Don't have to be too fast to catch something this is already dead.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Are you as fast as T. Rex? [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's probably because anything that even saw a T. Rex coming after them just dropped dead out of fear...

On a slightly OT note, anyone here know anyone that runs like T. Rex? Somebody with relatively small arms and relatively big legs that kind holds their arms way up high while running... I know a couple...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote I heard (on one of my son's awesome Discovery Channel Dinosaur DVD's) is that a T. Rex would have to have something like 70-80% of it's total muscle mass in it's legs to move at those top speeds - so that's the biomechanical impossibility right there.....

Good news for T. Rex was that much of his/her prey was even slower!!

That new AMNH Dinosaur exhibit looks great.....can't wait to bring my son who at 2 1/2 is a dinosaur nut....he already can pick out a T. Rex from an Allosaurus from an Acanthosaurus from 100 paces!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The t-rex is one of the more controversial dinosours.
The first probelm (which ninety+ percent of scientist agree on now) is that T-rex didnot walk upright. He walked more preperndicular to the ground (think jurrassic park) this would allow it to move quicker and be more agile than if it were to stand straight up (think old drawings of dinosaurs.)
The problem is, how much did it weigh? If it was built like an elephant it would be pretty slow and would likely kill itself doing basic things. An elephant can jump once in it's lifetime. It is them crippled for the rest of it's days.
If it's bones were more birdlike (lighter and thinner) it would be faster, but it almost couldn't have been a carnivor. (any serious impact from its prey could kill it or seriously injure it.)
Could you out run it? Probably not, but who cares, last time I saw one I was thirty miles into a fifty mile bike ride and I didn't have any water.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you as fast as T. Rex? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's probably because anything that even saw a T. Rex coming after them just dropped dead out of fear...

On a slightly OT note, anyone here know anyone that runs like T. Rex? Somebody with relatively small arms and relatively big legs that kind holds their arms way up high while running... I know a couple...
My 22 month old daughter runs like that. It's called the "high guard" position, I think.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Are you as fast as T. Rex? [Bitey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I meet T. Rex, I will have to rely on my other defense mechanisms, since I can just about spring a 7min/mile

- Releasing my bowels in fear
- Screaming like a girl
- Hiding under my blanket
- Closing my eyes

If that doesn't work, I'm "screwed and tattooed"!

-bcreager
Quote Reply