Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Look Pedal/Cleat Mystery Noise
Quote | Reply
Any Ideas on what could cause a creaking noise on Look pedals and cleats. I greased the screws when I put the cleats on. It's mostly on the right side particularly when I climb out of the saddle. I changed shoes and that doesn't get rid of it. Also what is the purpose of the black rubber insert in the middle of the red Look cleat? Does it matter if I remove or lube the rubber part? Does anyone use lubricant on the pedal surface or on the cleat?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal/Cleat Mystery Noise [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is that the "Look creak" is usually caused by debris embedded in the cleat or worn out cleats. I've tried washing the cleats, lubing them with grease, WD-40, wax, all to no avail. Once they start creaking the only sure-fire way to get rid of the noise is to replace the cleats with new ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fit of cleat into peddle is not perfect. You may be pronating (i would bet on it) as you push down, this causes a deflection of the shoe cleat system which in turns moves it within its imperfect fit rubbing and causing the noise. It happens under greater then normal pressure as you say. I recommend orthotic style inserts in cycling shoes - (hardly never for running by the way). The rubber is to stop the cleat from slipping when walking/resting foot on road whilst stopping etc. Lubricating the area of peddle/cleat will not stop the problem - only the noise.

If you have been set up they should have noted whether you pronate or not and rectified the problem. Otherwise video yourself from behind whilst on the windtrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Look Pedal/Cleat Mystery Noise [Straight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem a few months ago. I just replaced the cleats with new ones and the creaking stopped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tightening the scres on the cleats periodically seems to help reduce the noise for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of what has been posted above is true but the easy solution that has always worked for me is to wax the cleat. You can just rub a candle on the part that's making the squeak. Usually its the back edge, sometimes its the outside front corner.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might look into lubing the pedal (where the binding springs are). I had some very creaky pedals and it took a lot of lube (and flexing the pedals back and forth for a while) but the creaking finally disappeared.

-Dave
Quote Reply