Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike TT 10 Mile, CarolinaTT @ Lowes Speedway
Quote | Reply
Did a Time Trial the other night at the local NASCAR track. Made some errors but had a blast letting it all hang out on the bike. Thanks for the insights others gave me before doing the TT (Prof V, etc.

The course is really fast, flat, light winds and pretty smooth. We did 7 laps of a 1.5 mile track. You start on pit row and merge onto the track. Their were 217 riders all going off 30 secs apart. I started too fast and my HR was at 172 within a 1/2 mile, I think a longer then 15 minute warm up would have helped also (lesson learned). Avg HR was 174, with my max hr only going to 176. My max speed was 30.7 MPH and my avg pace was 25.8 MPH.

I pretty much yo-yo'd with one guy for about 3 laps, but about with two laps to go one guy just flew by me like I was standing still. Looking at the results this was the guy who won the TT and averaged 30.3 mph. Dam he was flying, guys name is Chris Harkey. Looking over the results he first did the 10 miles on a tandem at 28.5 MPH with a femal co-rider. Then dropped the hammer on the rest of the riders going solo.

Couple of observations:

1. I was surprised at the number of bikes w/o aero bars.

2. Watching the power that the hand cyclists generate is amazing.

3. Aero helmets were every where, and many w/o aero helmets wrapped their helmet with saran wrap.

4. Roadies are still more snobbish then tri-geeks (imho)

5. Volunteers were great.

6. There are a lot (7) riders over age 40 who's average speed was > 27.5 mph, so there is still hope!

7. A lot of riders had very aggressive, (low) set ups relative to mine.

The venue is perfect, inside the track is a small track to warm up and there are so many riders on the TT course when you are racing you generally always have some one to chase or that chases you. This was the 2nd race in a 11 race time trial series. I will prolly do at least 5 more and I would like to see if I could improve by 0.5 mph.

Not sure if I ever acheived the doughnut face but the TT pics are not posted yet. If you are in the Charlotte, NC area I would strongly recommend trying the TT series. www.carolinatt.org

Peace,

RF

AKA
Quote Reply
Re: Bike TT 10 Mile, CarolinaTT @ Lowes Speedway [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds cool. 25.8mph - that's awesome! Where do you think you hit the max of 30.7mph? Coming down off the banked corners?

Did you see any bump drafting going on? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike TT 10 Mile, CarolinaTT @ Lowes Speedway [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks GB, but the course is realley realley fast. I would not have been able to avg that on a road course.

Coming out of turn 2 (to use nascar vacubulary) there was a bit of a tailwind and the track seemed to have a slight downhill, is where I think I maxed my speed in the second lap.

No visible bump drafting or trading paint, I could see one guy do some passing on the left though which did piss a couple of people off.

I did veer into the infield ever so slightly on the second to last lap and it was funny I could hear the MRN (Motor Racing Network) announcers in my head saying, a racer is sideways in turn 4 and on the infield

;-).

Again it is a great venue for a TT and I am certain I would be about 1 mph slower on a road course.

Peace,

RF
Quote Reply
Re: Bike TT 10 Mile, CarolinaTT @ Lowes Speedway [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky,

Yep, it's downhill on the backstretch. Usually, you get a headwind in the middle of the third turn and sometimes on the uphill frontstretch. Let me give you a little piece of advice...on the backstretch while warming up, check to see if there is less wind by hugging the inside wall pretty tight...sometimes you can pick up a few seconds staying nice and tight through there. This TT is one of the only things I miss about not living in Charlotte any more. Still, I hope to make it to at least one of these TT's this year. It's truly amazing to see Chris and some of the really fast guys fly by you when you think you're flying fast!

Good report!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply