Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Las Vegas
Quote | Reply
I am trying to plan on doing Silverman and in that plan, I am trying to come up with a great holiday for the little woman. I want to reward her for putting up with me this past year while I train for Lake Placid and Silverman.
She loves roller coasters and amusement parks and what not so I thought we should stay at Circus Circus. Does anyone have any other cool things we could do like going to some other amusement park for a day or taking in a "cool" show. She is only 25 so she isn't too partial to Celine and all those other goofy lounge singers.
Any ideas anyone? Can anyone suggest a hotel that may be more fun than Circus Circus?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Area 51 isn't too far -- kind of cool if she gets into conspiracy theories. There are also a ton of ghost towns if she likes history.

Mike

------
One of the few who actually finds Kangaroo entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see the Blue Man Group! If they are playing when you're there. I want to go to Vegas just to see them (and play poker to the wee hours of the night.) Get a preview, they have a DVD out called The Complex. It's different than the show they do in person too, so you won't spoil the show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New York, New York has a rollercoaster and it isn't as old and cheezy as CC. Just make sure that your room isn't right next to the coaster. I had some friends that had the coaster fly by their room at 10am and that was a rude awakening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, avoid staying at Circus Circus. Its fairly far off the strip and its old and cheezy. Stay at NYNY if you want the roller coaster, but Caesar's is also great for a really fun atmosphere, being that the Forum Shops are attached. Paris is also a great hotel, as is Mandalay Bay, but MB is pretty far from center strip.

We saw "O" last time we were there at the Bellagio, and it was FANTASTIC. Its not cheap (about $100 ea) but so worth it. Simply amazing. The fountains at the Bellagio are fun to watch as well.

Vegas rocks, have a blast. Take advantage of the "free" cocktails while you are gambling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the Blue Man Group recommendation. I saw them in Boston and it was AMAZING. Hard to describe but an awesome show.

Also, anything Cirque Du Soleil, you can't go wrong with either!

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont stay at CC, I did once when I was there for a conference. Old and a bit run down also far from center of the strip. Would probably stay in one o the newer ones - paris/ny/ etc.

Say Cirque (O) amazing show but a bi expensive.

Re: Las Vegas [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you like going out (read.. glug, glug) stay at the Hard rock... man that place is a blast all day long and it has a smaller gaming area which will not draw you into gambling ALL day. Some good concerts are usually going on too.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MGM Grand is a safe bet (no pun intended). It's a huge place, so there's a lot to do there without having to leave the place. But if you wanted to, New York New York is across the street, Mandalay Bay isn't too far away if you catch the monorail at the Excalibur (goes between Excalibur, Luxor, and Mandalay...doesn't go through the whole strip). Few other mid-strip places are also within walking distance, although not exactly short walks.

If you're into a younger hipper scene, Hard Rock and the Palms are fun too. They're not close to the strip, but you can have fun there without leaving the place.

Also consider renting a car if planning some side trips, since cabs are expensive. Can take a side trip to Red Rock Canyon, Grand Canyon, or Hoover Dam, as a lot of people do. Also, gems people aren't as aware of are Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat'l Park in Utah which should be about 2-3 hrs away up on Rt 15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having been to Vegas several times now, I would have to say that old downtown is the way to go. The gambling is better. It definately has more of that old Vegas feel. You can get to the strip anytime you want by taking the bus. It runs 24 hrs and is much cheaper than a taxi. I have stayed at the Stratosphere and that's nice too. I find that off the beaten path is always better. Have fun!

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [Chris Wiggins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great replies guys. I surely would have gone the Circus Circus route but now I will most definetely go another route for certain.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to restate what most of the others already did.....

I grew up in Vegas (lived there for around 17 years) and go back almost yearly. You should stay at my Parents house since it is a great deal and the food is wonderful....

Seriously though...you HAVE to go see "O" at the Bellagio. You can buy your tickets online and pick them up prior to the performance. Try to get seats that are at the top of the lowest section or the bottom of the highest section. There really aren't any bad seats in the theater. Worth more than we paid for full price tickets.

Another cool idea is to get hooked up with Sundance Helicopters and get a night tour of the Strip or if you have some $$$$$ to burn go for a full day tour with champagne on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

You also HAVE to go out to Red Rock Canyon and go for a mountain bike ride or a hike. Try to get there later in the day when the sun is starting to set. Oh yeah, there is also a place to go horseback riding up at Red Rock Canyon by the scenic loop. I worked at the small bike shop in Red Rock when it used to be called "Blue Diamond Bicycles" but it is something different now. Not sure if "Bicycle Depot" is still around but I also worked as a wrench there for awhile and they were a pretty good deal.

Make sure you take her to the top of the Stratosphere tower while you are there and maybe you can risk your life on the "Big Shot" ride while you are at it. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. More I think about it the more jealous I am that I won't be able to make it out there anytime soon.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply