Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Witch bike for IM Hawaii
Quote | Reply
Okay I have the choice of my old Zipp3001, very aero and comfy down on the aero bars but a bit heavy at 23 lbs. Or my Kestrel 500sci, somewhat aero, but very light (16 lbs.), stiff, and comfortable. Just taking suggestions.

Please don't flame me for this.

BD
Quote Reply
Whichever the witch tells you [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mess with the witch, but would probably ride the Kestral if it is comfortable for you. Man 20 plus pounds it a lot to carry as Ironman isn't flat. I would think the aero advantage would be less than the lightness advantage of the Kestral at that extreme weight. What wheels you run is probably as important of a question. Good Luck G
Quote Reply
Re: Witch bike for IM Hawaii [extrafood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard if you duct tape the straw together that it helps the witch bike broom's aero properties. Just be glad the UCI doesn't control the bikes at IMH. You'd be out of business on that witch bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Witch bike for IM Hawaii [extrafood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which one do you run better off of? That's the one I'd ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Witch bike for IM Hawaii [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might also add that the aerodynamics of the Witch Hat that is essential to wear while riding the Witch Bike are a little dubious at best (as well as the collision protection it offers if you have an accident in the sky). Save the Witch Bike for sweeping the house and race with the Kestrel.
Quote Reply
Re: Witch bike for IM Hawaii [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy guys, this is extrafood's first post. Welcome to the forum, as you have noticed it pays off to read carefully before posting (although it got you a lot of useful feedback too so maybe you did it on purpose). And go with the Kestrel if you're unsure.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
bunnyman's blunt opinion [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Witch products. I drink Witch Brew, and regularly go on Witch hunts...

I am going for the alternate opinion: Zipp. Why? The suspension is going to help out TONS over 112 miles, and you will feel fresher on the run. The Kestrel is pretty comfy, too; but you need comfort and it will be more aero than the Kestrel.

Sure you can't get it lighter? I would recommend a low spoke count Nimble Fly in the front and a Nimble Crosswind for the rear. This is a light, aero and cheap wheelset. If you were riding any other race, I would say the Renn disc is the ABSOLUTE best disc for your Zipp...
Quote Reply
Zipp, all the way [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, go with the Zipp. It'll be more comfy, more aero, and will stand out a little more. I like Bunnyman's suggetion for HI wheels, though for other setups I have to politly disagree, If you ride a Zipp, ride a Zipp disc.

-Gophers love Zipps, but have to ride cheaper stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: bunnyman's blunt opinion [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arn't Discs banned at IMH?

And stop making a fool of extrafood, his mothertounge might not be english. I can almost guarantee that my english is better than your Swedish :)

Dave

In Reply To:
I like Witch products. I drink Witch Brew, and regularly go on Witch hunts...

I am going for the alternate opinion: Zipp. Why? The suspension is going to help out TONS over 112 miles, and you will feel fresher on the run. The Kestrel is pretty comfy, too; but you need comfort and it will be more aero than the Kestrel.

Sure you can't get it lighter? I would recommend a low spoke count Nimble Fly in the front and a Nimble Crosswind for the rear. This is a light, aero and cheap wheelset. If you were riding any other race, I would say the Renn disc is the ABSOLUTE best disc for your Zipp...

Quote | Reply
"Arn't Discs banned at IMH?"

"If you were riding any other race, I would say the Renn disc is the ABSOLUTE best disc for your Zipp..."

If you had seen the part of "any other race", then you would know that I knew that Hawaii banned discs. I am not calling you out on this, as I have not read the entire quote. I am always going to plug my pal Frank. He's a good guy and makes a good product.

As far as the "Witch" comments: I was just funning the guy/girl. My wife is a Brit, and her trying to make some of the American expressions make me laugh, as well. I know that when I speak german to my german friends, they get a very good laugh. And I tell them to not be too polite about it, as well.
Quote Reply