Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

North Shore Triathlon... Info?
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I finally got around to signing up today and don't know a damned thing about the course, other than it's a 4 lap bike and a pool swim. Anyone know this section of town? (http://nstc.ca/public/pages/springtri/springtri_map_adult.jpg)

As an aside, having to get my bike pre-checked before the race is going to be a ROYAL PITA.

Who else here is racing? Andy? TonyG? Marco? Powergyoza? SimpleS? Bueller?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: North Shore Triathlon... Info? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it a few times. I like the course. The pool is longer than 50m but short than 100m from what I remember. My best race there was unfortunately when I had a lady counting my laps that miscounted and I ended up doing an extra two lengths in the pool - makes a HUGE difference in a sprint distance race. I don't care for the swim, but that it probably due to the fact that it is in a pool and it feels like you are in a washing machine battling with others that should be in a slower lane.

Great organization. Great people. Great experience. You'll have fun no doubt.

Quote | Reply
Ditto what Adrian said, I've done it about 4ish times. Always have good days there, love the bike course, rolling hills, but a fast course overall. Pool is 37.5 m long, and I've been busted by the lapcounters too (i.e.: had to swim an extra lap). Run is hilly (as you'd expect on the NShore), partially on trails. I'm not going to race unfortunately as I really do love this race, but I really need to start my build for Spokane.

You'll have fun Khai, and probably kick some serious butt on the bike. It is a very competitive field at this race. Money and usually spots on the provincial team available. Elite heat (after AG race) is cool to watch.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: North Shore Triathlon... Info? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm volunteering this year but raced last year. Lots of fun!

The only thing that I wished I'd practiced more was U-turns on the bike. Other than that, the parkway ride is a lot like the one that we did at UBC minus the steepest hilly section. The run climbs a fair hill (or at least it felt that wa off the bike) out of T2 ... worth checking out the day before IMHO.

Look forward to meeting some of you there. I'll be looking for the orange Yacqui!

Miranda
Quote Reply
Re: North Shore Triathlon... Info? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooops, AndyPants is correct about the pool length.

Here is a tip...practice getting yourself up to speed after u-turns. You have to slow down to an almost stop a few times.

From what I remember, the second half of the run is faster than the first half.

Blood and guts right to the line (as is the case in any sprint race).

Quote | Reply
Definitely a good tip re: turns, A. If you ride smartly, use your gearing right, and handle the turns well, you can shave a lot of time off your bike split compared to those who cannot ride as technically well.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not for me, would involve having to run!

In fact never done the race but have volunteered. Our task was to direct runners at one a fork in the trails. Bloody surprised we did not send anyone for an additional loop.

There is another race the weekend after - Lee's tri. Swim in 2nd Beach pool, ride around Stanley Park and a run in the trails. I think the race is shorter than a full sprint - right up your alley. There is a link off the tribc web page.

Quote | Reply
never done it, can't be of much help, sorry! I was sort of thinking about doing it but then my stupid sinus infection decided to come back and I'm currently knocked out on antibiotics...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh, heh. Our North Shore Triathlon is different from the one you guys are talking about. The one the HI crew is doing is up in Haleiwa, on Oahu's North Shore. I won it in its inaugural edition, back in '97. I'm trying to talk the RD into comping me a free entry, this time around :-) You know, "old warhorses coming back for another shot at glory" and all that garbage....

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, all. I'm not the best technical bike handler on the board, but I am pretty good at getting back up to speed. :) Sounds like a fun race.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply