Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Money is not a factor?
Quote | Reply
I was sitting around with a few friends talking about the cost of triathlons and how it appears it doesn't matter what the price is anymore. Were all in our fifties now and have been racing fifteen to twenty years together and remember when $45 was an expensive race fee. Even though I can now to pay anything the RD's ask, I just can't seem to write a check for $150 plus for a two hour race. It just seems incredibly stupid.

Most of the compititors I went up against were nationally ranked AA age groupers. Almost to a man they have given up active racing and moved out of the sport because they did it for recreation and fun and just can't believe people will pay that much to kill themselves.

I quess my questions is how much will you pay before the price becomes too much to justify the perceived rewards.
Quote Reply
Re: Money is not a factor? [cavebear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be 50 this summer. From my vantage point, the major "visible" races do cost, but next weekend, for instance, I am competing in a local duathlon at a cost of $20. The local triathlon put on by the same guy at the end of the summer will cost $40. He limits that race to 200 people. I may never do an Ironman; the monetary price is too high and the price your body pays may be too high in the end (see sick sinus/ pacemaker discussions in this forum). Ironman? I don't have the need to finish one. But I would pay the current price to enter the national championships and pay the higher entry fee to compete in the ITU worlds. Some people go the Taj Mahal to say they did it. I'd pay to do Alcatraz once at the current price. As Alcatraz race directors keep seeing this kind of statement, they'll keep raising the price until the supply curve crosses the demand curve. And why not? That's capitalism!
Last edited by: JDub: May 8, 05 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: Money is not a factor? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great reply. I dont know what my limit would be...I have not found it yet. Figure, $500.00 (just about) to enter...another $3000.00 for travel and hotel...and add bikes, food, shoes, and every other thing needed...I could have got a bigger house. But, I am glad I didnt.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Money is not a factor? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some years I need a break and use my hard earned money for a ski vacation or a trip to the beach. I eventually come back and race again. Nothing can replace that high. But the local 40 dollar version will suffice whereas before it had to be the big event in the next state.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Money is not a factor? [cavebear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just can't seem to write a check for $150 plus for a two hour race. It just seems incredibly stupid.
That's why I go slow. My cost per minute drops dramatically and I geta better deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Money is not a factor? [FatBomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same way with golf. You can say what you like about my skills, but my cost per stroke is the lowest in history. I golfed a 182 a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure(based on discussions we have had here and seeing how much people spend on tris) that you could put IM entries up to $750-$1000 and Kona at $1500 and people would keep signing up. Further, the people who really wanted in would get in because the price would begin to push people away. Nonetheless, I think that races would yield as much, or more revenue, as they do now. I am willing to bet that M-Dot is intentionally keeping race fees low (bite your tongue) so that the money can get spread around to the local vendors, hoteliers, etc, which they probably get a cut of.

USAT/M-Dot have a pretty clear idea on the triathlon demographic, and when they see that people will spend $3,000-$6,000 to get to an Ironman race, and only $500 of that is race fees, they know they can keep pushing things up. I know that I'm not the only one who paid damned near $1,500 for a hotel at IMLP last year.

I would guess that they are trying to balance the desire to continue raising fees with the goal of maintaining the aura of IM races that includes selling out in two days, limited numbers of venues, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply