Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 3001
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there know where I can get my hands on a Zipp 3001 small 650c frame, no fork? I am building my dream bike and those thing fly. I know Zipp stopped producing them many moons ago, for some bizarre reason, and I haven't seen just a frame up for sale in an age.

Cheers AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 3001 [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ebay, They pop up about every six monthes or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 3001 [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend with one - however I bet it is a 700c...interested? I know it is not being ridden.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To confirm,
-There is one on ebay right now. I found it just searching for Zipp Bike.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 650c wheel, small frame/small beam Zipp 2001 up for sale. Comes with a threaded American Classic headset, and a chrome Hooker aero fork. It's the older version, with rear-entry "drop-outs", all black, no decals. Sorry, it's not the 3001 version though.

A bit of wear, but still very rideable...let me know if you need more information.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also try the classifieds at www.roadbikereview.com as well as the RecSport/Google search--they pop up there occasionally. I've seen them as cheap as $900 for the frame alone, and up to $3500 built out with dual Spec Tri Spokes. I have one & love it--send it to Zipp as soon as you get it to have the headset changed out, as well as having the cable routing system changed. Will cost you roughly $300.00. Make sure the brakes are in good shape--the pads are pretty easy to replace, and the centerpiece-thingamajiggy is easy to have a machinist make a new one if it is missing (provided you have one for him to use as a copy). Old style centerpull thingamajiggies don't work. The brakes show up on ebay every 3-4 months--usually go for about $150 each. Old style campy C-Record brakes work great, but are pricey, very rare, and heavy. Shimano's old AX brakes will work (but not as well), but they are even harder to find. I'm on the lookout for a set of Modolo Kronos to use as a backup. While you are visiting the machinist, have him build you a replacement seat bracket as well as this is prone to stripping if you are not careful & attentive. Both of these can be done while your frame is at Zipp getting prepped. Zipp is out of carbon shells for the brakes, as well as stickers (unless you want flourescent green--get a set so if you ever want to paint your bike, you can have the Zipp logo created using the green for a template). If they have any shock-absorber thingys left, you should pick them up, if only to use as a model for making your own. Remember that the beam on the 2001 is the same as the 3001 so if you see one cheap, pick it up for future use.

The bikes are awesome when you get it built right & fitted. I use a BP Stealth fork on mine, but was going to switch over to the Easton EC90 next year to save about 1/2 a lb. You can get it to under 20lbs with the right components/wheels. Find someone who is good fitting Softrides, though there is a ton more adjustability with these over Softrides. The guy I bought mine from compared it to a Ferrari: requires a bit more trouble + maintenance, but nothing is faster on the road.

Good luck!

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 3001 [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all your help, the one on ebay is a 2001 but I will keep my eye out. Anybody else have any experience with the 3001?

Cheers AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to call Zipp, they sometimes know where you can find one.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R & A Cycles in New York has three Zipp 2001 bikes on its website. They are advertising one small frame/large beam for $1450. It's advertised as used, maybe 300 miles on it. Check the link below and go down to the bottom of the page. You'll find the bikes there. I know you were asking about a Zipp 3001, but you may find these interesting. And for all I know, Phil may have a 3001 somewhere on his premises. Call him and ask him. I've ordered one bike from R & A, and a club member here in my hometown has ordered some wheels from there. Our experiences have been good.

http://www.racycles.com/..._262368_products.htm

RP
Quote Reply