Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes?
Quote | Reply
With a 1.5mm varus wedge should neutral to mild under pronators be avoiding Specialized bike shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [GregW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GregW wrote:
With a 1.5mm varus wedge should neutral to mild under pronators be avoiding Specialized bike shoes?

Pronation in running is not necessarily related to lower leg alignment in cycling. And, even with cycling, there multiple ways to fix a given issue. Knees splay out? Well, you can valgus wedge. OR you can widen the stance. Or some combination of both.

The wedge is just one variable.

That being said, they may indeed be the wrong shoe for you. But I'd be cautious about making that inference based off a broad generalization, especially one about running form.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [GregW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer is NO.

Also, when you say "neutral", what do you mean by that? That typically has little to do with whether or not a person has a forefoot varus (which most people do and why Specialized has designed their shoes as such). Has more to do with subtalar joint motion (i.e. a component of pronation) or the compensations that occur because of excessive motion(s).

Quote | Reply
Not neccessarily avoid- but if you get pain in the ball of your foot you should wedge them the opposite way to remove the varus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GregW wrote:

The Varus Wedge only affects the forefoot angulation, pronation is typically spoken about as a collapse of the mid foot arch.

In a study released by the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine earlier this year in a sample of over 500 cyclists it was found that 87% of cyclists would benefit from varus correction (Big toe higher than small toe) , 11% require a neutral forefoot (big and little toe on same plane), and 2% need valgus correction (Little toe higher than big toe).

If it turns out that you fall in the 13% of people that a neutral or valgus froefoot, your local Specialized BG Fit dealer can easily make the adjustment to the shoe.

hope that helps, PM if you need anything else!

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris for that information. I posted a thread inquiring about Specialized BG shoes stack height- I think this answers my question; can you review and give me your thoughts?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20height%20;#3843469
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answers all. I now know what to do!

My question came up while shopping for new shoes. After all the positive comments about the Boa lacing system I was looking at the S-Works, but was guided to other brands on the basis of my walking (mild under pronation) and running (neutral) form. Not entirely happy I decided to hold off and get some additional advice.

I've been using Specialized shoes since 2001 which I think is roughly when the whole BG fit thing started. For the last couple of years I've been in the BG Pro Road and BG Pro MTB. So far I have been happy.

Out of interest Chris at 76kg after how many kilometers should I be replacing my bike shoes? Any caveats or additional considerations? For example irrespective of millage I run in two shoes of differing brand concurrently and always replace them after 3 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this thread. I had no idea the BG folks do a custom shoe fit. Got me one on tap for tonight. Awesome. :)
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using S-Works 7 due roomy and round toebox. Other shoes that I tried crushing my pinky toes. But my left foot is flat and overpronated with weak arch. Are anybody know other brand with same toebox but flatter sole?
Quote Reply
Re: With neutral feet should I avoid Specialized bike shoes? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Not neccessarily avoid- but if you get pain in the ball of your foot you should wedge them the opposite way to remove the varus.

If you attempt this, you will change the amount of space in the forefoot. This may or may not be a problem. I was having a really hard time getting my S-Works 7s comfortable, and for a while I thought it might be the varus angling. So, I tried putting the varus wedges in. For a few minutes, they did feel a lot more comfortable, then both shoes felt like vise grips.

The BG footbeds are pretty much on the thin side for footbeds. I am pretty sure the Icebug insoles are even thinner. So, if you are sure the wedge doesn't work for you, but you do find the shoes a bit cramped, you could consider trying the Icebugs.

In the end, I'm not even sure if it was the varus forefoot, but it was something, and I sold mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another chiming in: I run in neutral shoes and under-pronate while running (I've usually been more of a runner than a cyclist, though I do both year-round). My Specialized shoes have been my favorite and most comfortable, I own several pair of bike shoes – they never really get so destroyed that I throw them away, and they're good as indoor shoes. (I wish bike shoes could be recycled or disposed of in an eco-friendly way – another reason to not throw them away.). Anyway, my Specialized S-Works shoes are well ventilated and lightweight, and I would get them again as one of my top choices. I've found replacing the insoles and keeping them clean helps extend their lifespan.
Quote Reply