Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fitting Advice
Quote | Reply
Hello! I've been a lurker here on the forums for the last few weeks and am quite impressed with the knowledge here. I'm an early triathlete, but I have definitely caught the bug. I did a sprint tri 500m/12mi/5k in 1:07, with room to grow tremendously. My next one is July 6th or so at Blue Lake (Pac NW Championship).

The reason I posted was an inquiry about the potential fit of a bike geometry wise. I've been offered the sale of a 56cm Kestrel KM-40 (6yo) with 600/DA mix. Bars and seatpost are new. Wheels are Wolber TX Profile. For 500 dollars.

I can make it fit the budget, but no upgrades for a long while (student). Will this bike be a decent one to fill in for the next ~5 years until I have a good stable income? I have a decent roadie that I built up with 105/ultegra on it, so this won't be my sole training bike. Just Tri/TT.

I had my roommate measure me and here are my basic dimensions.

Middle of knee to floor = 21.5"

Hip Bone to Floor = 40"

Shoulder to floor = 58"

Elbow to mid palm = 13.5"

Shoulder to elbow = 14"

Thanks!

Daniel Heineck

Oregon State University Triathlon Club

Be warned-- I might ask a lot of training/nutrition questions soon also. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Advice [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best advice I think I can give you is to learn about fit yourself through the articles on the non-forum part of this site and other web-based resrouces. It isn't that difficult to figure out and, while the many bike geeks on this forum think it is a black art, bike fitting is pretty simple and straight forward with only a little investment in education.

I can't tell you if that bike fits you or not, but you can pretty quickly figure it out on your own as there are only a few basic angles and lengths to be concerned with at first. Then you adjust things as you get fitter. Don't get into this sport thinking that other people have the answers for you; this is a sport where the most successful gain the understanding themselves (with relative little investment in education...and patience)
Quote Reply