Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The triathlete and strenght training...
Quote | Reply
OK so I am new to this whole multi dicipline thing, and was wondering how much strength training I should try to fit into this crazy Tri training. I used to only strength train and did just a little (as possible) running to burn fat.

Now I am trying to keep up wth the amount of cals I need to burn for workouts, but am I losing lots of strength in the areas not related to the swim/bike/run? In the end does it really matter if I am trying to stay as light as possible for efficiency reasons? I am a pretty big guy (6'2" and about 190 today). I just wonder if I am going to start losing the muscle I have built over the years.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: The triathlete and strenght training... [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The muscles you don't use regularly will atrophy but if they don't get you down the course faster, do you care? That said I've seen a big improvement by strength training 2-3x a week this past winter and now 1 gym session+ 2 core + 1-2 stretchcordz sessions a week . The core sessions don't take that long and have made the biggest difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK so I am new to this whole multi dicipline thing, and was wondering how much strength training I should try to fit into this crazy Tri training. I used to only strength train and did just a little (as possible) running to burn fat.

Now I am trying to keep up wth the amount of cals I need to burn for workouts, but am I losing lots of strength in the areas not related to the swim/bike/run? In the end does it really matter if I am trying to stay as light as possible for efficiency reasons? I am a pretty big guy (6'2" and about 190 today). I just wonder if I am going to start losing the muscle I have built over the years.

Hey -- it is more important to look good than to be good......

Seriously -- The majority of us triathletes are not "elite" and do not get paid and love the tri for the tri and for the health of it. So carring a few extra pounds of muscle is good for the health. Strength training has been shown to help with bone density and joint health (when done properly) - i.e. a little strength training is good for your body.

If you are over 35 (30 for females) - you will lose muscle mass without some strength training - use it or lose it. It doesn't take much to maintain muscle mass -- as little as 3 times per 14 day period and you can maintain muscle mass.

So go have fun, lift a little, keep your muscles, enjoy triathlons and enjoy a long and healthy life.

My favorite Dave Scott Quote "The healthiest Triathlete Wins"
Quote Reply
Re: The triathlete and strenght training... [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of strength/core/flexibility work this winter. I ran quite a bit but no cycling except my daily commutes which amount to less than 4 miles total. I am faster on the bike this year. I am currently spinning at a much higher rpm in a higher gear than end of season last year. I did focus my strength training on my legs and core. I did really big sets (15-30 reps) with lower weights 3-4 sets at a time. I also often used really light weights and incorporated some stability training into the sets. An example of this would be doing sqats with just a bar but standing on a stability pad or wobble boards. It has certainly made a difference in my cycling and I believe my running too.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm a believer in full body training--1 part a week, which means they will get worked 2 times one directly and one indirectly. there is no reason why you can't maintain your full body strength and muscle capacity. plus, you'll want to do this to keep your body balanced.

shoulders/chest/back

legs/arms/abs

add lunges in on day 1 if you want to hit legs twice. one hard day of legs, and one easy day. i don't do that this time of year unless I can't get out on the bike. IMo don't loose your muscle. it's much too hard to gain back and will set you up for injury later. now if you're a hulky type of guy with alot of mass, you might want to lean down--but you can do that and still maintain strength.
Quote Reply
Re: The triathlete and strenght training... [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I did a lot of strength/core/flexibility work this winter. I ran quite a bit but no cycling except my daily commutes which amount to less than 4 miles total. I am faster on the bike this year. I am currently spinning at a much higher rpm in a higher gear than end of season last year. I did focus my strength training on my legs and core. I did really big sets (15-30 reps) with lower weights 3-4 sets at a time. I also often used really light weights and incorporated some stability training into the sets. An example of this would be doing sqats with just a bar but standing on a stability pad or wobble boards. It has certainly made a difference in my cycling and I believe my running too.

AND your overall health too.

When I hurt my back I rehabbed by doing core stuff, balance ball etc. With my increase in training, my back is sore again - I need to return to working with the balance ball.... Sucks having a bad back!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the type of athlete you are as to haow much advantage you get but me being more of a strength style athlete gain a lot by doing 3-4 sessions per week. The more important thing is injury prevention though and with this in mind a solid all round routine and core work I find is absolutely essential.
Quote Reply