Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you also know someone like this?
Quote | Reply
Did a tri yesterday. There is a group of about a dozen fellow tri-geeks we hangout with. Some are more serious about tri than others but all are good people to be around. By tradition after each tri the group goes out for a meal and a beer or two. One guy in our group is ultra competitive. He's a regular AG winner in the local area tris but yesterday got his butt kicked and *only* finished second.

Well, he was surley and miserable after the race. When another guy walked up after the race and asked him in a friendly manner how it went he snapped "just leave me alone will ya". At the awards presentation he didn't want to pick up his award because it was *only* for second place. The group went out to a restaurant after the awards presentation and he was just miserable. The woman sitting across the table told him not to be so down on himself because his second place was better than any of the rest of us in the group did. Then the guy beside her said in a good natured joking manner "yeah, but there were only two guys in his age group". It was at that point that I thought he was almost ready to hit the guy.

Most tri winning competitors that I've known have been very modest and helpful people. This guy is not a kid. He's middle aged and should know better. Obviously he has some deeper issues than just not winning a tri. To him winning is everything and just having fun means nothing.

I would imagine there are others like this, but fortunately they're (I assume) fairly rare?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you also know someone like this? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that rare - I know a few people like that. They are the people who need to get WHIPPED at a race.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you also know someone like this? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no worries the dude has already doubled his milage and will be injured and gone for the season in short order.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
It is lonely at the top I guess. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya cant get bent about those types. Many times they are just looking for attention. But also, he has to expect the best to be the best. But then again these are not the World Cup or Olympics. I would just brush it off. Buit back to your questions... yes I have seen a person or two like that. It is usually a personality issue. (They have none) Some people are just weird creatures. I should know... I am pretty weird myself. But not a fast one!
Quote Reply