Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle
Quote | Reply
From a new puzzle book by Serhiy Grabarchuk, entitled The New Puzzle Classics: Put ten dots on a piece of paper, in the form of a ten-pip domino. This will look the same as a pair of dice with fives on them, side by side. You can number the top row of dots one to four... the two middle dots five and six... and the bottom row of dots seven to ten. The object is to draw a closed loop of four consecutive straight lines, going through each of the dots once. So draw a straight line... from the end of that, draw another straight line... from the end of that draw a third straight line... and from the end of that draw one more straight line that returns to your starting point. Every dot must be crossed once. Can you do it? Your solution should give the number of the dots in each of your four lines.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the answer is Blue?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the answer is Blue?
ooh, so close.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Your solution should give the number of the dots in each of your four lines. [/quote]

Can you explain this? The sum of the numbers beside each dot should be equal? The number of dots in each line should be equal?
Damn you for posting this -- now I am REALLY wasting time at work!

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle [Codex0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[quote]Your solution should give the number of the dots in each of your four lines. [/quote]

Can you explain this? The sum of the numbers beside each dot should be equal? The number of dots in each line should be equal?
Damn you for posting this -- now I am REALLY wasting time at work!

What that means is that your solution should be {i*}{i*}{i*}{i*}, where each {} is a set of one or more numbered points i. The points each have a number assigned to them (1 through 10). So, for example, your solution (not correct) might be {1-2}{3-4-5-6-7}{6-8}{8-9-10-1}. The first and last numbers in the whole sequence must be the same (same start and end point), and each number must be included at least once.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From a new puzzle book by Serhiy Grabarchuk, entitled The New Puzzle Classics: Put ten dots on a piece of paper, in the form of a ten-pip domino. This will look the same as a pair of dice with fives on them, side by side. You can number the top row of dots one to four... the two middle dots five and six... and the bottom row of dots seven to ten. The object is to draw a closed loop of four consecutive straight lines, going through each of the dots once. So draw a straight line... from the end of that, draw another straight line... from the end of that draw a third straight line... and from the end of that draw one more straight line that returns to your starting point. Every dot must be crossed once. Can you do it? Your solution should give the number of the dots in each of your four lines.

{1,2,3,4}{4,5}{7,8,9,10}{6,1}

The trick is that the lines go beyond 4, 5 , and 10

Am I right?

---------------------------------
Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
{3-4-3-2-1-2} - {2-5-7} - {7-8-9-10} - {10-6-3}

Yes, it involves going back over a line at the beginning but that does not violate the rules of drawing a straight line. It also complies with the "consecutive" line rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle [KMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

{1,2,3,4}{4,5}{7,8,9,10}{6,1}

The trick is that the lines go beyond 4, 5 , and 10

Am I right?
Bingo. Well done. Thinking "outside the box" pays off for this one.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise your mind: another NPR puzzle [kkaufman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
{3-4-3-2-1-2} - {2-5-7} - {7-8-9-10} - {10-6-3}

Yes, it involves going back over a line at the beginning but that does not violate the rules of drawing a straight line. It also complies with the "consecutive" line rule.
Except, of course, for the "going through each of the dots once" part...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah!!

Hey Gerard, where's my new P3C for getting it right?

---------------------------------
Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, I was focused more on the "each dot MUST be crossed once" part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saw that others posted, but didn't look! Honest!
{1,2,3,4}, {6,7},{7,8,9,10}, {10,5}

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply