Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA???
Quote | Reply
I need some advice guys.

So I originally decided to go drive down from Michigan to Chattanooga, TN for the 3S3M century on 7th May. And then I found out about this Tour of Scioto River Valley (210 mile for 2 days) bike ride in Columbus, Ohio on 7th & 8th May.

http://www.tosrv.org/05/index.htm

http://www.chattbike.com/...3_state/3stchlng.htm

I'm trying to use either as preparation for IMCDA. And now I'm undecided. Which is better for me? The 3 State 3 Mountain century has about 9000 ft of climbing (yikes) whereas the TOSRV is pretty flat I think. Driving to Columbus is definately much nearer, 3.5 hours instead of a 9 hour drive to Chattanooga.

Which one would you guys choose??

I will actually be on my summer holidays then so time isn't a constraint...although I'm alittle worried about whether a long drive might kill my back!!! =p

THANKS!!!!
Last edited by: Tri-sg: Apr 14, 05 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA??? [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do them both, sort of...

Just do TOSRV South this weekend in north Florida, instead of TOSRV Ohio. Both are 200 mile two day events on a flat course.

Actually, I think either ride would benefit your IMC training.

I think it comes down to whether or not you need more cycling endurance or strength in your workout.

The climbs in Chattanooga are difficult and you will be pushing low RPM's going up, much like you're on a leg press machine (depending on your gearing, etc.) The descents are awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOSRV has hills, but no ball busters like Tennesee. I haven't ridden the course, but i drive it all the time. I would do TOSRV, but I live in Columbus.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the tosrv is a nice event (one of the oldest), and portsmouth is a quant old small town--the murals along the river are really something to see. plus for 3,500 cyclists to come into a 20,000 person town it is quite incredible, and everyone welcomes the cyclists. there will be plenty of comeroderie that's for sure. several of us are doing the whole thing, or part of it. if you need a hotel they might all be taken though...but there is alot of camping and marisol can vouge that it's fun to camp out, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA??? [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So being an IM virgin, I suppose TOSRV will be more beneficial for me? since endurance remains a bigger limiter than bike specific strength.

Can't do the TOSRV in florida, school ends in 2 weeks!! THEN ITS 9 weeks of being a total athlete till IMCDA :)
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA??? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't TOSRV provide housing? I remember staying on a HS gym floor, not the most comfortable, but free.

Either one would be good training, you can make either one as hard as you want.
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA??? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to get a brick run done AFTER the ride??

Seems like the baggage will be at some place. The riding instructions are alittle unclear and I'm not sure what to expect.

I think they provide sleeping bag space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the events you're contemplating but I did do IMCDA last year and I can tell there are hills on the bike course but I wouldn't call it mountainous. I did 2 5-hour training rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the serviced me well. I did not feel like the IMCDA bike course was terribly difficult. There was only one steep climb for which I was in granny gear and going about 8 mph. The good news is that its a fairly short climb. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is possible to get a run in afterwards. The truck is parked in town and you pick up your stuff and then ride/walk to you assigned accommodations. If they still have the Mercy Health Center as an option, pick that, it was a very nice health club/rehab place which was much nicer than the HS gym floor. Make sure you pack an air mattress or pad.

The ride is extremely well run, the food stops are very nice and there are tons of riders. There will be groups hammering along, as well as sightseerers. The route is very easy to follow.

Another training option would be to do the Triple-T (www.hfpracing.com) on May 27-29.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, yeah they probably do have free facilities. it's cheap there, I can tell you that--to eat and drink, etc. plus on the levee (if you're interested) there is nice soft grass to run on. It will be full sun (provided it's sunny that day), but it would be soft and you could get some decent mileage in without having to have a map, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did TOSRV last year, It's fun.. We should get a group together and go. TOSRV felt like vacation for me.. camping, fun.. Great group of people to ride with. I don't remember any hills, pretty darn flat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about the Triple T...but its WAY too close to IMCDA. IMCDA is on 26th June. So its about 4 weeks out.

Its my first IM and I don't think that will be a wise decision.

But I think some nice runs with the 210 miles over 2 days will do me ALOT of good.

I'm not familiar with all these bike rides/tours. So basically I can ride at my pace and there will be food stops already set up along the way?? Do I need a map or anything? How do I know where to turn and stuff? Just follow the crowd???

What speeds do people usually go at?? It seems unlikely that it will be a 3000 people paceline travelling @ 20+ mph........then again...=p
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV or 3 State 3 mountain as Prep for IMCDA??? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marisol: Congrats on the KONA SLOT!!

Are you doing TOSRV again this year???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to do it yes.. I have so much fun and it's a great social event. basically you leave when you want. the roads are marked and they have aid stations spaced out. In the middle, there is a lunch station with food, band, beer.. it's fun. You basically end up riding in a pace line with people your speed. People are nice...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for hills(Mountains) don't do TOSRV. From 50 to 75 miles you will have some rolling hills with one Heart Rate Increaser into Waverly Ohio, but that is about it. You will find the hardest part of this ride is if the wind is coming from the south on the way too Portsmouth and it is cold. It is a nice ride with food stops every 25 miles if you wish and lots of bikers. If you decide to do this ride bring all your gear! You never no what the weather will be like here in Columbus at that time of year. We do the ride just about every year for the fun of it all. You will see all types of bikers on this ride!

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a run after day one of TOSRV, along the river one a grassy area. If your going this year look for me and introduce yourself, I should be highly visible as I'm captaining a triple with two friends.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a FYI in case any of you were planning on registering race day.. 3 State 3 Mountain has closed registration because they have 1200 riders as of last night.

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply