Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New headset scheme
Quote | Reply
Got a Colorado Cyclist catalog and there are some bikes in there with a very different looking head. They use a 1 1/8" top bearing and a 1 1/2" bottom bearing. This supposedly increases stiffness, durability, whatever.

Gimmick? Trend?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: New headset scheme [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Principia started this (I do believe), though I don't remember if it's a 1" top, 1 1/8" bottom, but the bearing diameters are different top and bottom. I will think of the benefit in a little while, though there is something to do with the load placed on bearings, and the ability to use a larger headtube to make a better joint for the downtube. Also, Isaac bikes (engineered by Principia) do this (I think, I will have to check).

If you had asked me who makes the finest production aluminium bikes, I would say that either Principia, Klein, or Cervelo. I am not counting the customs like the Mandarics or anything like that. But if Principia did it, I would definitely take notice. They still don't paint frames (I don't believe; only anodise) and somehow anodise the inside of the tubes (unless I misread their website).*

What I am saying is that there has to be some sort of benefit if somebody who does aluminium bikes right did it first. But it could also be gimmic.

*Edit: they do paint frames these days, but to find out their sales pitch on 1 1/4" bottom, 1 1/8" top head tubes, go to: http://www.principia.dk/
Last edited by: bunnyman: Apr 13, 05 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that the high end kuotas have this as well including the kalibur...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote if or gimmick. While their may be some theoretical benefit about a million bikes have been made the current standards with no real problems.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: New headset scheme [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Principia started this (I do believe)
Isn't Principia in receivership (or Euro Community version of reorganization) due to cash flow problems?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply