Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM zone testing ????
Quote | Reply
hi team

I got my first ever HRM on the weekend - basic timex model. From trawling the available info it seems the most common advice is to do a 30 min TTs in both running and cycling, and take your avg. HR from the last 20 mins of both. From there you do the percentage thing, get your five (3?) zones and away you go.

Now, do we concur with this? Are there any pitfalls awaiting the unsuspecting but well meaning novice?

And is it true that Maylene and Tibbs are shacked up in a shed in Montana doing the funky chicken with a tube of hub grease and a P3?

thanks

Patrick

ps - its my slowtwitch birthday today. thanks to Dan the man for his cool site, and all of you for brightening up some dull days.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: HRM zone testing ???? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumpy bumpy, rumpy pumpy...

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that unless you already have a pretty good idea of where your thresholds are, trying to do a hard, but even paced 30' TT is going to be tough. I prefer to use a Conconi or other ramp type test, preferably with power (on the bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwipat:

The TT test is what I have done in the past, and it seems to work pretty well for me. I use Training Peaks, which calculates the zones for me based on the LTHR TT test. I always try to do the run on the same track in similar conditions... although that can be difficult at varying times of the year. The bike is easier, as I just get on the Computrainer in the basement, and do the same flat course everytime.

After I've found my zones, I typically switch to a Maffetone type test, which I conduct every fourth week during the Base period. I'll see how far I can get on the same track/course by keeping my HR under a particular level (usually, under Z3 if I'm racing long course).

When I move into the Build period, I'll do the LTHR TT test again to see if my zones have changed at all.

Hope this helps. The only pitfall I can mention is to be aware of cardiac drift, and make sure you use RPE (or Power, if you can) in addition to HR as an indicator. There have been many times during training (especially in heat and humidity) where my HR seems to be too high, but my RPE has me feeling great.

Don't know about Tibbs and Maylene... I'd have to seriously question her judgment if it's true. :)

P.S. Happy Slowtwitch birthday.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how we create Heart rate training zones for running (or cycling) at both the FIT Center and Asphalt Green's newly created Performance Center which we run-

You will need to find two heart rates:
  1. A heart rate when Anaerobic Threshold (AT) occurs. This can be done using a metabolic analyzer, which is preferred if you want numbers that are accurate, precise and re-measureable, or you can do a field test.
  2. A heart rate when Respiratory Compensation (RC) occurs or Max Vo2 (and peak HR). Again, this can be done using a metabolic analyzer. The %s are of HR @ AT. So if during the Vo2 max test, the analyzer detects your AT Vo2 at 46.6 ml/o2/kg/min and your AT HR is 165bpm, and your max is 51.7 ml/o2/kg/min with a max HR of 191bpm, you plug those HR #s into the below:

Zone 1: 75%-84% of AT- recovery easy running

Zone 2: 85%-95% of AT- base work/ endurance pace

Zone 3: AT – 110% of AT-threshold/tempo work

Exception: if 110% is over Max- then use 105%

Zone 4: 111% of ATMax-Interval and Repetition pace

We use these zones to train our athletes. This is also the same formula that Paul Robbins uses for EVERY pro athlete that walks through the doors of Athlete's Performance in Tempe Arizona- (That is Mark Verstegan's place who authored Core Performance)

Every three months we retest and see if we need to make any adjustments in their zones and paces as their fitness level changes.

Hope this helps.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply