Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Problems with New Speedplay Zeros
Quote | Reply
So I just got back from a really frustrating ride with me brand new pair of zeros. They are incredibally difficult to clip into. It was impossible to actually clip the pedals on the bike with the shoes on my feet. I had to have a buddy hold me up as I slid my feet into my shoes (I can't do the flying start thing). I've had Zeros before, but they were a used pair and I guess they were broken in. Anyone else ever have difficult with new ones? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I'm racing next weekend!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with New Speedplay Zeros [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pedals will not loosen up, but the cleats will since they are the item that actaully "clips"

Did you lube the pedals before riding? I do mine once a week, otherwise you can run into problems down the road with the actaul pedal being damanged. It is in the manual.

Spend some time sitting at home and clip in and out with one foot 50 or so times, then do the other. If they need to be broken in, this will do it.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With any Speedplay pedal, you can't overtighten the 4 screws in the top part of the cleat. That is essentially what controls the entry/exit tension of the pedals. When I install cleats for my customers, I turn the screws until the all touch the metal. A quarter turn after that should do the trick. That's why they put the lock tite on the screws.
Hope that helps.

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to second Chris' recommendation. The 4 cleat screws should not be cranked down or you'll have exactly the problems you are complaining about. One word of caution, make sure that you have the loctite on the screws, otherwise you'll discover that they will come loose and fall out pretty easily with the low tension that you end up putting the screws in with.

Did the same thing when setting up speedplay zero's for my wife's first set of clipless pedals. Absolutely no issues. She got used to them in one ride, and didn't have any problems getting in or out of them. I did add more loctite since I had used the pedals/cleats previously myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with New Speedplay Zeros [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot!

I just loosened up the screws and piled on the thread lock.

I should be good to go in 5 hours when I wake up for a ride.

Jonathan

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply