Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP 909 Wheels - making noise...
Quote | Reply
I noticed last a very irritating rattling noise when I used my ZIPP 909 wheelset last night for a 10myle TT. I have noticed it before but ignored it. As this set is only a month old with not that many miles on I investigated after the TT to find out what is causing it as I must admit one of my pet hates is rattles! I then discovered that the carbon bits between the hub and the QR are basically just loose part and these move freely around. When riding these rattle against the metal hub and makes a very annoying noise… Anybody noticed this on a ZIPP front wheel?? Second thing when I inspected my 909 rear disc I noticed that when I turn it it sounds like there are some bits inside in the hollow compartments moving.. almost like sand moving. Is this common or should I worry about the wheel falling apart on the inside?

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 909 Wheels - making noise... [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those loose bits are normal and you will not hear them as they will be forced to the outside of the wheel and stay there due to the gyroscopic force of the spinning wheel (remeber the Gravitron from fairs?)

Any disk wheel will amplify noises from the frame...the noise you hear may not at all be from the wheel, but from the wheel resounding and amplifying the noise.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP 909 Wheels - making noise... [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these loose carbon pieces can be put back into place. My bike mechanic noticed that, gave a call to Zipp and they told him how to do it...
Quote Reply