Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lance's New Bike, How light can a bike be in the TDF
Quote | Reply
Here is some interesting info on Lances new bike, also what is the weight limit, minimum at the tdf, in LBS please?

Tour Tech - What was Lance riding?
By Andrew Juskaitis
VeloNews Technical Editor
This report filed July 22, 2003
Several sharp-eyed viewers noticed that Lance Armstrong was riding what appeared to be a standard team-issue 5900 Superlight during Monday's stage to Luz-Ardiden.

When VeloNews contacted Trek to inquire as to why Armstrong was not riding that nifty new Madone 5.9 and instead riding what appeared to be 2003 technology, spokesman John Riley informed us that Armstrong was actually riding another all-new 2004 Trek bike.

The bike on which Armstrong won Monday's tumultuous stage was, in fact, a much-updated 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight. Riley said the new bike takes carbon fiber construction to the outer limits of Trek is able to do. The new bike is 100 grams lighter than the Madone 5.9 (which is 45 grams lighter than the current 2003 5900 Superlight).

This 145 grams of weight savings over current 5900 will allow Armstrong to run the full 2004 Dura-Ace STI shifting system and "sensible componentry and wheels" and still bring the overall weight of his ride right down to the UCI limit.

According to Riley, "this new 5900 has been redesigned to allow the use of a standard issue lower headset cup (unlike the current 1 1/4-inch lower cup design which mandates a special headset)."

He went on to assert that "the new bike is as stiff as the current 5900 but significantly lighter, it's the best of both worlds. That's all I can say for now."

You also might have noticed that after the tumultuous stage, Armstrong complained of "shifting problems."

Shimano's Chris DiStefano said he and his crew were taken aback by the problem and contacted team mechanics right away.

"When Lance crashed yesterday, [Iban] Mayo fell right on top of his bike," DeStefano said. "This cracked his driveside chainstay, which then caused some serious alignment issues. Obviously, this affected his bike's shifting performance, causing gears to skip which caused him to then pop out of his pedal."

So there you have it, the technical side of one of the most dramtic stages in recent Tour history.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance's New Bike, How light can a bike be in the TDF [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they must weigh either 6.5kg or 7.5kg minimum? Not sure which. The C'Dales had to have 200g added in one of the earlier stages.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance's New Bike, How light can a bike be in the TDF [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14.99 pounds is the current UCI weight limit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance's New Bike, How light can a bike be in the TDF [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I attempting to figure out the minimum weight and I came up with 14.99 pounds minimum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The official weight limit is 6.8kg (the UCI sticks with real units :-). It is amazing how many teams don't have bikes that are at this limit, in last year's TOUR Radmagazin weigh-in only one bike in the peloton was at the limit if I remember correctly, and the mechanics didn't even want to show it to TOUR because it needed non-sponsor parts to achieve it. I haven't done an exhaustive analysis this year, but little seems to have changed, although a few more team leaders have non-sponsor superlight stuff.

But it is rather strange to get the team leader a superlight bike, and leave the domestiques with heavier bikes. What does that say about how you appreciate them, aside from the fact they could probablysettempo for a little bit longer if they had a better bike. And the differences can be huge, TOUR weighed some team leader bikes at over 8kg, and domestique bikes even heavier. To me, that's just brutal, to think that my beater bike is lighter than Rumsas' bike last year (although I will concede he can still ride circles around me while climbing Alpe d'Huez :-)

At Team CSC, we decided to get everybody, leaders and domestiques, a bike that was right at the legal limit (not really that hard to do if you start with a Cervelo R2.5 frame and a Zipp 303 wheelset). It seemed to have helped the morale if nothing else.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Lance's New Bike, How light can a bike be in the TDF [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To me, that's just brutal, to think that my beater bike is lighter than Rumsas' bike last year (although I will concede he can still ride circles around me while climbing Alpe d'Huez :-) "

Maybe not, if you were taking what he was taking? ;^)
Quote Reply